Warmer: SKAHA Vest or Helios Vest

Posted by: geokite

Warmer: SKAHA Vest or Helios Vest - 04/25/08 11:25 AM

Which would be warmer? Nunatak Skaha is baffled with about 1oz less down for my size, while Feathered Friends Helios is sewn through.

The only downside for the 5.5oz lighter weight of the Skaha is the absence of those great hand warmer pockets of the Helios. Or maybe others can comment on other advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks!
Posted by: EWH

Re: Warmer: SKAHA Vest or Helios Vest - 04/26/08 05:35 PM

You may want to include the Western Mountaineering Flight Vest in your comparisons although I doubt you can go wrong with any of these choices. The are all great companies. I have the Flight and it's very warm. One of my insultaing combinations includes the Flight vest and a MEC Fleece 100 Jacket (11 oz). This works for my 3 season trips in the Sierras for elevations in the 8,000 - 10,000 foot range. If I think it will be colder or I'm predominatly on ridge tops I'll opt for a WM Flight Jacket. I should note that get cold very easily. I also tried a Montbell Down Sweater Vest but it was a joke in comparison.

I believe the Helios is a little longer cut and probably a little warmer. That Skaha looks a little pricey.