WM Tamarak

Posted by: sawwhetowl

WM Tamarak - 03/18/08 05:39 PM

Last night I tested a WM Tamarak half bag that I recently bought on this board. For me it is almost a full bag. I'm 5'5". I slept out in the back yard, in the open, on an Exped DAM 7. I wore lightweight wool long johns, wool socks, WM Flight vest, and a fleece balaclava. The bag was used as a quilt. (my preferred method) I slept warm and comfortable. The temp was 23*F when I woke at aprox. 5:30 am. Not bad. I'm going to add a couple of straps like those on the Nunatak Arc Alpinist for better control of the sides in cold weather. I woke a couple of times last night because of drafts and had to re-tuck the quilt. All in all I'm quite pleased, and this bag will probably replace my Arc Alpinist, because I don't like the constricting foot box of the Arc. They will be aprox equal in weight after I add the straps. For me the Arc is NOT a comfortable 20*F quilt. I can't keep my water from freezing without sacrificing comfort. I prefer my Megalite when it gets this cold, as it has room for a water bladder or two. I'll be using the Tamarak(as a quilt) when temps are likely to be closer to 30*F. Perfect for late spring to early fall in the Colorado Rockies. Thanks fos(seller)
Peace,
Hank
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: WM Tamarak - 03/19/08 10:43 AM

"saw",

Yep, I love my WM Megalite bag but, unlike you, I use it as my only bag for 3 seasons. Zipped all the way open for hot nights I hook the foor over my full length ThermaRest UL mattress foot & have a very nice quilt.

Eric
Posted by: sawwhetowl

Re: WM Tamarak - 03/19/08 05:06 PM

I neglected to mention that my Megalite has 2oz overfill. It's a solid 15*F bag used with long johns and a fleece hat.