Sleeping Bag Shoot Out

Posted by: PSU5000

Sleeping Bag Shoot Out - 01/23/08 01:14 PM

I'm in the market for an ultra light, synthetic, 3 season bag,and after some shopping around i've narrowed it down to three choices. I've found all of these online at just under $150

The North Face Orion +20

Marmot Pounder Plus +25

Mountain Hardware Ultralamina +32

Does any one have personal experience with either of these sleeping bags or any insight to help me with this decision.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Sleeping Bag Shoot Out - 01/23/08 01:28 PM

Use the search function and many posts on the Marmot will show up. Another thread started by Hootyhoo in this same forum is about that bag. Look down or up the page, depending on when you look.

There might be something on the others as well.
Posted by: hootyhoo

Re: Sleeping Bag Shoot Out - 01/23/08 02:35 PM

I have come to the conclusion that the pounder plus might be my choice. I asked this same question a few days ago.
Posted by: Dondo

Re: Sleeping Bag Shoot Out - 01/23/08 04:58 PM

According to independent European tests (EN 13537), the Orion is a 30F bag and the Pounder Plus is a 36F bag. Both use Primaloft Sport, a decent synthetic fill. It is more compressible and drapes better than continuous filament fills like Polarguard. I actually have an Orion and it keeps me warm down to 30F, not 20F, as TNF claims. It has a 60" shoulder girth compared with the 62" girth of the Pounder Plus. I like the Orion a lot but use it mostly as a loaner now that I have something better, the Montbell UL Alpine Burrow Bag #3.

Posted by: earth_dweller

Re: Sleeping Bag Shoot Out - 01/25/08 01:10 PM

Like Dondo, I'm the happy owner of a #3 UL Burrow Bag from MontBell. If you'd like to read more about it, check out the recent reviews at backpackgeartest.org.