Good DWR treatment?

Posted by: Pika

Good DWR treatment? - 01/23/08 07:55 AM

I just finished making a light (2.9 oz) hooded, 1/3 zip, pullover windshirt. I'm really pleased with what I have but I'm thinking that I should give it a DWR treatment, just in case it rains. I would be interested in recommendations of specific DWR treatment products. The windshirt is made of 0.8 oz nylon ripstop. Thanks!
Posted by: billk

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/23/08 10:43 PM

Nikwax TX-Direct, either spray-on or wash-in works well, as does Revivex's product (can't remember what it's called.) The Revivex stuff left some temporary white marks on a Gore-Tex jacket of mine once, but maybe I over-applied it or something.

Most of the lightweight nylons these days seem to have a DWR finish from the factory...does water bead up on it?

Did you use the Momentum 90 from Thru-hiker? If so, give us a full report. I've been thinking of buying some, but at twice the price of the 1.1oz ripstop, I need encouragement.

Also, what pattern did you use?
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/24/08 04:28 AM

I just tried some 303 Fabric Guard on some nylon. It doesn't require heat and seems to work great. Spray on, let dry. Can't tell it's there except that water falls off.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/24/08 05:35 AM

Bill, I was wrong, I used the 1.1 oz ripstop from Seattle Fabric. For the price difference, I don't mind carrying an extra 0.5 oz. I used a much-modified Green Pepper Oregon Jacket pattern to make the windshirt. Major changes were: No lining, no pockets, no waist cord, lower front panels combined into a single piece, #3 coil zipper w/o a storm flap and other minor changes. I used the Oregon Jacket pattern because of the way the hood is put together in three pieces; much roomier than the two piece hood. I have made the ThruHiker Liberty Ridge windshirt and like my version better; don't know why but it weighs about the same too! If you are interested, let me know and I can send you more detailed instructions. I am really pleased with the results.

I didn't think to check for a DWR finish on the fabric; I'll check sometime today. Thanks!
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/27/08 09:45 PM

"Supposably" Gore's Revivex is the best spray-on DWR but I've had very good performance from Tectron spray. (From REI).

Eric
Posted by: phat

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/27/08 10:08 PM

I've had very good luck using NikWax Tent and Gear proof (the big bottle) on my windshirt,
and my little polarguard pullover. Works great, water beads off.
Posted by: Rick

Re: Good DWR treatment? - 01/28/08 04:15 PM

Quote:

I've had very good luck using NikWax Tent and Gear proof (the big bottle) on my windshirt,
and my little polarguard pullover. Works great, water beads off.

How does that product affect breathabilty?