ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER

Posted by: PerryMK

ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER - 06/14/18 10:12 AM

I haven't tried this yet but it looks quite clever.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ziplock-...tm_medium=email

Basically, put roll of toilet paper in ziplock bag, pull out cardboard tube, pull toilet paper from center.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER - 06/14/18 01:12 PM

I used to do this, but in an ordinary plastic bag, not Ziplock.

In more recent years, I've carried paper towel squares instead. Far more absorbent, tougher (no unexpected holes!), and can be wet for further cleaning. I've found that they clean better, and the total weight I have to carry is a bit less. Obviously, paper towels are slower to disintegrate, but I pack out my TP either way.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER - 06/18/18 05:26 PM

Good idea but I pretty much got away from TP years ago. I bring a micro fiber cloth square, and make a "trail bidet" from a drinking water bottle with a cut in the cap, that aims "up". Much easier, lighter, cleaner, nothing to bury or haul out. The water bottle crushes to nothing until needed again. A tiny eye dropper bottle of dawn liquid or Bronner's takes care of the hands and the cloth is rarely required. This is the "third world" way. wink
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER - 06/18/18 06:13 PM

I'm with Dryer. While I carry TP as a just in case, I haven't used it in quite some time. I use a few small sticks and then water. Dr. Bronner's for washing my hands, and then a bit of Purell.

I also ensure I let my hiking compatriots know that's what I do, usually while reaching into my gorp. Funny thing, no one ever takes any of my gorp when I offer....

Edit to add: I should have noted that it is a great idea though!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: ZIPLOCK TOILET PAPER DISPENSER - 06/18/18 09:53 PM

I’ll be the contrarian here - I really like this idea.

Of course, here in the Eastern US, outhouses are present at most designated campsites, and the soil provides for fairly quick decomposition so toilet paper rarely becomes an issue, at least the places I go.

Thanks for the tip.