1st synthetic hoodie in YEARS

Posted by: MoBetta

1st synthetic hoodie in YEARS - 03/11/18 06:14 PM

The tech has changed so much since I bought my Golite jacket 5 years ago and my Wild Things belay jacket 10 years ago. And I'm not sure what I want now.

I'm a dog walker and I walk NYC streets from 7am-4pm most weekdays. I walk around 10 miles/day, stopping and starting, going in and out of buildings every 30 minutes. So I often get sweaty and then have to go back outside in the cold. I do okay with poly layers and synthetic jackets and a rain shell over it when necessary. But my Golite jacket is falling apart now.

I'm 6', with 42" chest, 33-34" waist, 29" hips, 15.5" neck, 35" sleeve.

My budget is around $200 and I'd like a jacket I can use from the 50s down to the 20s (with a layer underneath). I do NOT need packability. Ultralight is not a priority.

I can always add a rain shell if needed. Wind-resistance would be a plus but isn't super-essential. Last week and this week it's been 30F in the mornings and windy low 40s as the high. So I'd like something that can handle that (with a shirt and maybe a thin layer underneath if needed). Hand/Napoleon/Inside pockets are a Good Thing.

I was looking into active stretch synthetic jacket hoodies, which I've learned are now a thing - thinking they might be better for dissipating heat and sweat when I go indoors/outdoors/indoors.

Was looking at the Black Diamond First Light but the sizing chart puts me in a M for hips/waist and L for neck/chest, and only the XL goes up to a 34.5 sleeve but the others are shorter so I'm thinking that just won't work for me.

Am also looking at jackets like the Patagonia Nano-Air Hoodie (sizing puts me right into a L), the OR Cathode Hoodie and OR Uberlayer and OR Winter Ferrosi, the Rab Xenon X, and the Arcteryx Atom LT.

Not a fan of Mountain Hardwear (had a REALLY bad customer service experience with them once).

Ideas? Suggestions? Am I looking at the right type of jacket?
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: 1st synthetic hoodie in YEARS - 03/27/18 03:27 AM

If this isn't going to be used for backpacking, you might consider something with a tougher outer fabric. Most of the ones you mention use pretty light fabric to save weight.

I have a Columbia "Crested Butte" jacket for everyday use in cool to cold weather. Not enough for me at 20 degrees, but maybe OK for you. Fine for me at 50, but maybe too warm for you.