Rain/wind jackets

Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Rain/wind jackets - 01/24/18 11:44 AM

I'm beginning to save up for a new rain jacket that can also work as a windbreaker.

Right now I have an 8 year old Marmot Precip jacket that I have loved to death. It still looks okay, but the inner lining right between my shoulders is starting to wear and it keeps wetting out right there. But I love its adjustability.

I'm trying to decide between a new Precip or perhaps a Red Ledge Thunderlight... though if you've got a glowing recommendation for something else I'm all ears.

I usually wear a poncho in late spring through early fall, so this is more for the winter in the southeast when the rain comes down in sheets and the wind blows the poncho around too much. The pack I carry in winter is much larger than my summer pack, and the poncho just doesn't cover the winter pack well. Going the other way around (putting the pack on top of a poncho) always results in me getting soaked.

So, what do you think? Precip or Thunderlight or something else entirely?
Posted by: DustinV

Re: Rain/wind jackets - 02/02/18 03:33 PM

Pretty much any rain jacket will block the wind, but most wind shells won't hold off rain for long. I bring a wind shell when I go with a poncho for rain and shelter.

I've seen a lot of folks on here who love the Precip, so I don't think you can go wrong with that one. If that style and feature set works for you, then grab another.

But if you decide you want a lighter one or one with a helmet-compatible hood, no hood, baggy fit for layering over a puffy, slimmer fit for wind ...or some other specific feature, that might narrow things down and you'll get more specific ideas.

Also, just searching the forum might give you more ideas. Rain wear is a frequent topic, by itself and within other topics.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Rain/wind jackets - 02/02/18 08:59 PM

The Precip is a good, basic rain shell. You can go lighter weight than a Precip, but either you'll sacrifice durability (e.g. Frogg Toggs) or pay a premium price. The best way to get a Precip cheap is look for a discontinued color scheme, since Marmot seems to put the least popular colors into closeout each year.