What is this?

Posted by: lightweight

What is this? - 10/06/17 11:46 AM

I'm new to backpacking and just bought my first external frame pack. The pack was used and has some type of mount on the top bar. Here's a pic: https://ibb.co/b2ZbOw What would this mount be used for? I tried Googling this, but came up empty, so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: BZH

Re: What is this? - 10/06/17 02:11 PM

Sorry, I am not going to click a foreign link to help. Can you embed the image? or perhaps mention the make and model of the backpack.
Posted by: Jeffrey

Re: What is this? - 10/06/17 02:12 PM

I haven't seen similar anything similar.

But may assume that it was used for carrying a GPS or some camera or a searchlight.
Posted by: aimless

Re: What is this? - 10/06/17 02:13 PM

I was jokingly going to say it is a mount for a helicopter engine, but speaking honestly it doesn't appear to be part of the frame's original equipment, but rather an add-on. Seeing the size of the threaded bolt, it must have mounted something sizeable or heavy.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: What is this? - 10/06/17 07:37 PM

It is anybody's guess what it was used for, but it is definitely not part of the original pack frame. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove. It appears to be held together with four socket head screws.
Posted by: Franco

Re: What is this? - 10/06/17 11:23 PM

I can't access that link. Maybe if you upload it here someone might be able to tell you what it is.
Posted by: lightweight

Re: What is this? - 10/07/17 03:56 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try to upload the image.

Re: What is this? - 10/07/17 05:45 PM

Now I know that I don't know...
looks like some sort of home made solution to attach maybe a camera or an umbrella .
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: What is this? - 10/08/17 12:47 AM

It's to attach a 360 degree camera. It's what Google used before they mounted their cameras on cars...

Re: What is this? - 10/08/17 06:36 PM

I don't think so...
[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...4734&type=3[/img]
If you can't open that link just search for "google backpack camera "
it's a 42lbs set up.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: What is this? - 10/08/17 08:25 PM

"I don't think so..."
Ummmm, yeah, that was a joke...
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: What is this? - 10/09/17 07:45 PM

I think it's a mount for a gps antenna. to record the actual hiked trail to be superimposed over an Emap.. like the type you see on google for, say the Pacific Crest, which often show two trails one the trail as it appears on published topo's the other the trail as hiked
Posted by: EMT Dave

Re: What is this? - 12/02/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By lightweight
I'm new to backpacking and just bought my first external frame pack. The pack was used and has some type of mount on the top bar. Here's a pic: https://ibb.co/b2ZbOw What would this mount be used for? I tried Googling this, but came up empty, so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

It looks like it was made by the owner in a machine shop. I have done my share of machining so I know the look.
Who knows what it could have been for? Looks like the frame was an old Jansport.