Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini

Posted by: HikeVibes

Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/01/17 08:30 AM

I've bought both of these and my GF thinks I just like buying gear, which is true, but I was trying to tell her the differences.  I thought I'd share some of my thoughts regarding the similarity and differences. 

Similarities:
both lightweight
both are simple to use
.1 micron filter 

Differences:
BeFree's flow rate is a lot faster. 2 liters per minute
Mini can filter 100,000 gallons vs BeFree's 264
Clean up is easier with BeFree just rinse it out, Mini can backflush
BeFree has a larger mouth (43mm) so filling it up is easier but is hard to find bag attachments.  Hydropak makes a large one.  Mini's mouth is smaller (28mm) but you can find lots of bottle attachments.
Mini comes with a straw, so in case you lose the bag or it gets damaged you can drink from the stream directly
Befree's filter fits inside the water reservoir, so you can pack it intact vs the Mini.

In summation, I told my GF is was necessary to buy the BeFree because it's great for day hikes- easy clean up, fast flow rate, easier to use.  I still use the Mini, I like the straw attachment and the longer life- I plan on using it for long hikes and backpacking.    
Posted by: BZH

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/02/17 01:43 PM

I bought the befree. It is my first gravity filter and I am very happy with it. Not having a set method to back flush it is a bit worrying to me. I've heard some reports of people having loss in flow problems but not many.

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/03/17 12:55 AM

I've also heard that some people had slow downs, I've heard letting sit in water overnight might help. I'd probably use distilled water.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/03/17 01:59 AM

Unfortunately there is no source of distilled water when backpacking in the wilderness, and if a filter clogs, it will certainly happen in the middle of a trip!

I tried the Sawyer Squeeze and had a lot o trouble with it clogging. I may go back to using a Katadyn replacement filter with my homemade gravity filter setup. I never had a problem with that.

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/03/17 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Unfortunately there is no source of distilled water when backpacking in the wilderness, and if a filter clogs, it will certainly happen in the middle of a trip!

I tried the Sawyer Squeeze and had a lot o trouble with it clogging. I may go back to using a Katadyn replacement filter with my homemade gravity filter setup. I never had a problem with that.

lol yeah, distilled water is hard to find in the wilderness. I prefilter water or filter clear water if possible, rinse the filter out as best as I can and then when I get home clean it with distilled water before storing.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/03/17 11:58 AM

So as far as I know there is an unresolved question as to whether the BeFree filter could get damaged by back flushing. If they don't include backflushing instructions simply because they don't provide hardware for it, then it is pretty easy to jerry rig a system. The cheap plastic cap on the BeFree unscrews and the Sawyer adapter fits the threads. From there you can run a hose to another bottle to backflush. Again... this is all predicated on the assumption that backflushing will not damage the BeFree filter. I've heard mixed positions from Katadyn themselves, so it is not clear to me.
Posted by: Petro1234

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/04/17 02:09 AM

Well catch me out, you'll get caught out by hepatitis, why not go for something with a virus killer on it too like the hydropure or aquapure, filters or kills all nasties, removes metals etc.

As for the back flush distilled water, why not use the water you have filtered?

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/07/17 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By Petro1234
Well catch me out, you'll get caught out by hepatitis, why not go for something with a virus killer on it too like the hydropure or aquapure, filters or kills all nasties, removes metals etc.

As for the back flush distilled water, why not use the water you have filtered?

Good point on viruses. I hike in Southern California mainly and usually go for springs and that's usually pretty safe to drink as is. But I totally agree with you, better safe then sorry. If i'm really concerned then I would drop some water purification tablets or boil it.

As for cleaning out the filter, you're right again about using the freshly filtered water! smile
Posted by: DanielShunn

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 10/29/17 09:46 PM

I've always used a Sawyer and they have been trouble free and really not that expensive, plus you can get them anywhere.
Posted by: orclwzrd

Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini - 11/10/17 07:14 PM

just took the mini backpacking in Utah. I now hate the sawyer mini. clogged constantly in clear water. my gravity system didn't work. Back to my Kadatyn Vario or Sawyer Squeeze. I know they work. last time untested gear goes afield.

john