Daily Work backpack

Posted by: robert_tci

Daily Work backpack - 07/14/17 04:25 AM

Hey all!
New here, and I'm looking to buy a new backpack for my day-to-day work (not really camping or anything).
I don't really know any details about backpacks or if there's any technical info or terms, just what I want laugh.

Most days I just have a notebook or two in my backpack with a tshirt and camera, along with pens, pencils, erasers, my phone charger and cable, and water in the side pocket. Occasionally I like carrying my laptop in my backpack as well. I don't live in the same city as my parents, so when I go to visit them every few weekends, I use just the backpack stuffed with my laptop and a couple more clothes.
I've had an Eddie Bauer "Air Tech System" backpack for about...5 years now? It's right strap has almost detached (despite me trying to stitch it back) and the base had frayed to the point where I had to sew a cloth to the bottom for reinforcement. I can't find it being sold anywhere online right now to show you what it is, but here is a picture I found:
I'm 30, about 70kgs and walk about 5km to and from work every day with my backpack.

Not sure how to distill my needs better. Durability. Special compartment for my 15.6 inch laptop would be nice. Side-pocket that fits larger water containers would be nice. Solid base for all the time it'll be on the floor would be nice. I've got slight back issues, so something that won't destroy my back in the long run would be nice.

So....help? laugh
Posted by: aimless

Re: Daily Work backpack - 07/14/17 03:29 PM

I've got slight back issues, so something that won't destroy my back in the long run would be nice.

The best ways to avoid straining your back are either to carry as little weight as possible in your pack (2 kg or less), or else find a backpack that has a belt that effectively transfers the weight of your pack so that it is fully supported by your pelvic girdle (your hip bones) and the shoulder straps are mainly preventing the pack from falling backwards.

As for sorting among the many hundreds of packs out there that are capable of carrying the load you describe, the most important factor is something we cannot help you much with: the pack must fit you comfortably when it is fully loaded with the items you typically plan to carry. Some inexpensive packs are well made and durable, and would be perfectly suited to your needs, but no one here will be conversant with more than a few packs and none of us can tell you how any one of them will fit you.

The best suggestion I can make is load them up, try them on, and examine the materials and workmanship in detail. As soon as you find one that works at a price you are willing to pay, your task is done. Good luck!
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Daily Work backpack - 07/14/17 09:46 PM

Agree with everything aimless said. I'd only add that you shouldn't just look in outdoor stores, Office Depot and such has the kinds of packs you're probably looking for as well.
Posted by: EMT Dave

Re: Daily Work backpack - 12/07/17 07:41 PM

I am not hyper careful about my choice of daypacks. I have had a few and none have been horrible.
Although I do not care for Walfart/Ozark Trails gear, some of their overnight stuff looks decent. (I often like a larger pack than necessary) I got a pack from a former thru hiker (an estate sale) that is far too small for weekends for me, but I use it for training with water bottles. It has a rudimentary frame, but who cares.
I don't think you can go wrong if you look for decent stitching and stout fabric.
You know, I have even handled decent Chinese packs, although I have not owned one. I may buy one of those for my jump kit (a large kit for mobile first aide) for next summer.