Big Agnes Copper Spur series, 25% off

Posted by: edfardos

Big Agnes Copper Spur series, 25% off - 08/26/16 01:31 PM

I noticed REI and Moosejaw marked down the Copper Spur tents 25%. I also noticed there's a redesign for 2017, so they're probably trying to get rid of old inventory.

The old Copper Spur has a rainbow door, otherwise seems great.

The new Copper Spur (HV 2), looks like it has two zippers on each door that come together at a 90 degree angle? Forcing you to manipulate two things to get in or out? Can anyone confirm this?

In any event, I just snapped up the original Copper Spur UL2 for $320 or so at REI. Moosejaw just sold out.

--edfardos
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur series, 25% off - 08/26/16 06:23 PM

Its a little heavy for the money IMO
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur series, 25% off - 08/26/16 10:51 PM

I have been graciously given an older model of the Copper Spur and it has overall performed well, but I am not fond of the door. I find it awkward and it lets in mosquitoes when getting in and out of the tent. I personally like doors with two zippers and I like the door to hang from the top or side, not fall to the ground when open. Working two zippers is not a big deal and it offers more flexibility. In fact, when the zipper on my old Tarptent Moment broke I replaced it with two zippers that meet at 90-degrees.
Posted by: edfardos

Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur series, 25% off - 08/29/16 06:54 PM

And here's why:

https://treelinebackpacker.com/2016/08/23/big-agnes-2017-tents-preview/

Copper spur redesign for 2017. They appear to have double zippers that meet at 90 degrees now, per your comment.

I purchased the old model since the price was right(er). I need complete coverage in the Sierra Nevada. Meat bees are crazy right now.

Best,

Edfardos