Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less.

Posted by: Linton23

Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/14/16 11:09 PM

I have done some backpacking in the last 2 years most of the time not to hard. I have 2 boys in scouting and we did 15 miles down the Suwanee river trail for our longest hike. My boys have sleeping bags that compress and fit there backpacks. We do most of our camping in Florida and south Georgia and in worst cases we get down to 20 degrees. My issue is this I am 5'10 and 260. I have a alps mountaineering 0 degree wide size and its great but will not compress worth anything. What do you recommenced I trying to keep it under $100 because I got a gift card from amazon so thats where i was going to order it.
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/15/16 08:34 AM

Are you talking about summer or winter?

If summer, my opinion is to go with a fleece bag liner or an Army poncho liner. I live in Alabama, so I know the heat and humidity. Unless you're just terribly cold natured (and if you're cold in this heat, go to the doctor!), even a warm weather bag is too much from April through the middle of October.

If you're talking about winter, I don't have a good answer for you. My current bag (a TNF Cat's Meow 15 degree) was free from a friend, and the other one was $5 on clearance at Walmart.

From what I've experienced and have seen around here, though, a sleeping bag is one of those things where you get what you pay for -- in other words, save your money and buy a good one. Watch REI for their sales. Maybe you can use that Amazon card on something else, freeing your cash to go toward a bag.

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/15/16 09:03 AM

Sorry its for the winter. Summer is our inactive season here due to heat 98 degrees, humidity 98% and bugs. We camp up until June in most cases then start back with simple camp outs in September. I got a bit lucky and unlucky as our local kmart was closing and they had a few colder weather suisse bags that compress down that I bought for my kids. The unlucky part was that was also my wife's job.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/15/16 11:50 AM

Marmot Trestle 15. Its kinda light. 4lbs. Compresses enough to get it into a 60l backpack. Or get a Deuter Dreamlight and SOl Escape bivy. You really dont have many options for a winter backpacking sleeping bag. The Dueter Dreamlite 500 weighs 1lb 20z. Its good for 45 degrees if you are a warm sleeper. Then add the Sol Escape. Then Warm some warm clothes and you might have a 30 degree sleep system
Posted by: BZH

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/16/16 05:24 PM

sleeping bags are definitely a you get what you pay for type thing. There are a few down bags from China on Amazon at amazingly low prices, but they seem to be fitted for leaner builds and higher minimum temperatures.

It doesn't meet your budget, but my original thought is an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy quilt 6' wide: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/

$175 and 27-28 oz for a 30 degF bag. $185 and ~34 oz for a 20 degF bag.

*edit* I should add, I am pretty close to your build and a 6' wide EE quilt works great for me.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/16/16 07:04 PM

The first rule of backpacking: "Light, cheap, good - pick two." smile

Re: Sleeping bag for backpacking trips $100 or less. - 08/29/16 02:31 AM

I ended up with a Kelty Cosmic 20 bag I went long to give myself a bit more room. I will let you guys know what happens.