TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint

Posted by: Kory

TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/24/16 09:59 PM

I have a TNF tadpole 23 tent and I am needing a footprint for it but can't seem to find any in stock. I am heading backpacking with the scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch in three weeks and would like to find one or an alternative for this 2 person backpacking tent.

Suggestions?
Posted by: Franco

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/24/16 11:17 PM

You only need the dedicated footprint if you want to set it up fly only.
Otherwise any generic footprint cut a bit smaller than your floor area will do.
A popular type is Tyvek, others prefer window insulation material ( the thicker type) or some painter's drop sheet.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 07:51 AM

What Franco said. Lay your tent on the footprint material and trace it. Cut inside the lines. You don't want the footprint outside of the perimeter to collect water. Tyvek is the easiest to work with and probably the longest lasting. There's sites that'll sell it by the foot - http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/tyvek-ground-cloth-by-the-foot/
Posted by: BZH

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 11:37 AM

I agree with all of the above. Additionally, you can just go without a footprint. I've stopped using them.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 02:31 PM

It was my understanding that the Scouts, particularly at Philmont, required some sort of groundcloth. This may only be with tent shells, but I'm not familiar enough to know.

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By wgiles
It was my understanding that the Scouts, particularly at Philmont, required some sort of groundcloth. This may only be with tent shells, but I'm not familiar enough to know.

hmmm... I'd never heard that, but I found this:

Quote:
A 6’ x 8’ waterproof ground cloth must be
used under each tent. These are not provided with the Philmont tents.

here: http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/filestore/philmont/pdf/GuidebookToAdventure.pdf

I rescind my commment
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 06:02 PM

If this is the case (may be a hantavirus prevention issue? a problem with southwestern rodents), then a piece of plastic painters drop cloth cut to size may do the job. If my suspicion about disease prevention is correct, you want to discard the plastic after the trip, so don't get anything permanent.

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 07:35 PM

from what I read it does indeed appear at least somewhat motivated by the hantavirus. It is interesting that they seem to allow floorless tents. A floorless tent with a ground cover would give as much protection as a tent bottom... though I guess you could dispose of the ground cover after the trip like you suggested.

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 10:54 PM

Thank you Franco, this was helpful. I stopped by REI today and the guy said something similar....

Kory

Re: TNF Tadpole 23 Footprint - 05/25/16 10:57 PM

Charlie and All, thank you for the information your quick thoughts. All this info was helpful too me. I think it makes sense to just cut my own for cost so the different material types were good info.

Kory