Narrowed my new tent down to these 4.

Posted by: AlanL

Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/22/16 08:42 AM

The REI Chrysalis bit the dust over the weekend. You can read about that here.

REI has the 20% going right now and I have a decent dividend so I have narrowed my purchases down to the tents listed below. Any comments, suggestions?

Im 5’10” and 145#s so could be on the smaller side.
I should be able to at least sit up in it. I don’t mind if it tapers down for to the feet. I don’t need a lot of room beyond that.
I prefer mesh it so I can see out on nights I don't need a rain fly.
I camp ~12 nights a year.

Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL 1 $264.73
Least height 33 inches. 29oz

REI 1/4 Dome $229.00
Height 37.5. Cheapest. Weights the most. 34 oz

NEMO Hornet 1 $319.95
Never heard of brand. Best Height 40 inches. 27 Oz

Big Agnes Fly Creek $349.95
Well known. Well reviewed. Height 38 inches weight 27 Oz.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/22/16 04:15 PM

I only know the Fly Creek. I really liked mine and it survived close to 300 nights, a few with high winds and torrential rains. My fly ripped, but I'm still going to use the inner for a nice light bug shelter and star gazer. I suspect the material on my fly is degraded from UV at this point.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/22/16 07:37 PM

My current go-to tent is the one person Fly Creek Platinum 1 - from the prices you give, I assume you are looking at solo tents, also. I've been very pleased with the Fly Creek.

However, if you'd like to save some money or if you're worried about space more than weight, take a look at the Big Agnes Seedhouse series. The Seedhouse is a slightly heavier (some might say that means more durable) clone of the Fly Creek. The Seedhouse 2 is the same price as the Fly Creek HV 1, but has more space and weighs a pound more. The Seedhouse 1 is $80 cheaper than the Fly Creek 1, and weighs half a pound more.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/22/16 10:29 PM

I own and use an REI Quarterdome 1. I can honestly say I think it is a fine tent. It has more useable room inside it than any other solo tent I have owned and it has performed well for me in the rain. Most likely all the tents in question are fine tents and your satisfaction with them will hinge more on some of the smaller design details than their overall quality.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/22/16 10:31 PM

I use an REI dash 2. Suppose to be the lightest two person tent they have ever made. 2.5 lbs. I like it.
Posted by: AlanL

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/24/16 09:39 AM

I picked up the Fly Creek on sale for $239.93!!!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/24/16 05:41 PM

That's a good price on a great tent.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/24/16 05:54 PM

Good for you! I don't think you'll be disappointed. The set up is so easy and for us it lasted a long time. Show us some pics with it on the trail when you get out.
Posted by: WVhiker

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/31/16 12:02 AM

I really like the look of that Big Agnes. And I think any of those tents would be a good choice. I am currently using their super scout ul2 since I am usually hiking with my wife and our dog that oversized vestibule makes a great place for the dog to sleep without worrying about her claws poking holes in lightweight fabric.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 03/31/16 02:15 PM

Backcountry Gear is having a Big Agnes sale, including the FC tents. Be sure to use the link from this site when you go there to browse.

cheers,
Posted by: Boomstix

Re: Narrowed my new tent down to these 4. - 04/12/16 12:03 AM

Great choice in tent man! I was looking at that one myself for a while but thought it a bit small for my wife and I. We settled on the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 in the end. Couldn't be happier. I wrote a review of it and a few other tents I have used on my blog a while ago if your interested in reading it. You can find it Here