How to Cut your weight by more than half.

Posted by: Jim M

How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/12/15 08:16 PM

This is why I am switching to metric....
I like to look at the heaviest stuff I carry because more than 80% of the weight comes from 20% of the items. (Some of you might recognize that as Parado's Principle.)
Some time ago I set my limit for my Sleeping Bag at one Kilo and my current 3 season (High Tail It by NF) is just a bit less. Both tent (Shelter It by Mountainsmith) and my pack also weigh less than a kilo. I can easily get by on one kilo of food per day and eat well. My heaviest rain jacket (Patigonia NO2 and rain pants together weigh a half kilo. The maximum I would ever carry (on a long summer trip, or shorter winter trip) is 10 kilo.
It just seems to work out to be nice round numbers in kilometers. And besides, it is more the international standard than the other system, what ever that is called. (Imperial? English?). Of course some mocho guys might not like the sound of bragging about carrying 23 kilos!

So even at the maximum essentials
Sleeping Bag 1
Mattress .5
Tent 1
Pack 1
Food for 3 days 3
Stove & Cook set .5
Raingear .5
Winter Dn Jacket .5
8 Kilos for the heaviest stuff....

What do you think? Should we all switch to metric?
I found Gasoline is much cheaper in Canada because they use the metric system!
Only $1.37….wow.
Instead of carrying 22 pounds you will only be carrying 10 kilos. Less than half as much as when you were using the other system!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/12/15 08:33 PM

lol

10 kilograms weigh 22.5 lbs., not bad at all if that's your total pack weight!

Please note, however, that if we are going to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of the metric system, it should take place in the "Off Topic" section. I will move this thread there if people want to discuss this issue.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/13/15 06:52 AM

My average day on the trail I'd do 20! Just like those through hikers. (Though they're doing 35+ per day and walking way over 3,000!) Carry less and go farther without spending money or training.
Posted by: Aragon

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/13/15 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By Jim M
This is why I am switching to metric....
I like to look at the heaviest stuff I carry because more than 80% of the weight comes from 20% of the items. (Some of you might recognize that as Parado's Principle.)
Some time ago I set my limit for my Sleeping Bag at one Kilo and my current 3 season (High Tail It by NF) is just a bit less. Both tent (Shelter It by Mountainsmith) and my pack also weigh less than a kilo. I can easily get by on one kilo of food per day and eat well. My heaviest rain jacket (Patigonia NO2 and rain pants together weigh a half kilo. The maximum I would ever carry (on a long summer trip, or shorter winter trip) is 10 kilo.
It just seems to work out to be nice round numbers in kilometers. And besides, it is more the international standard than the other system, what ever that is called. (Imperial? English?). Of course some mocho guys might not like the sound of bragging about carrying 23 kilos!

So even at the maximum essentials
Sleeping Bag 1
Mattress .5
Tent 1
Pack 1
Food for 3 days 3
Stove & Cook set .5
Raingear .5
Winter Dn Jacket .5
8 Kilos for the heaviest stuff....

What do you think? Should we all switch to metric?
Only $1.37….wow.
Instead of carrying 22 pounds you will only be carrying 10 kilos. Less than half as much as when you were using the other system!

"Pareto"...
Posted by: Zuuk

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/23/15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By Jim M

Only $1.37….wow.

If only a litre was as large as an imperial gallon.

Where I live, I can either fill up in Canada, or drive for an hour (30 mins both ways) to cross the US border and fill up there. I still would save a little money on gas purchasing it in the US, even when taking and hour's driving worth into consideration. I know people who do this regularly, but for me, my hour is better spent on something else other than driving to save a couple dollars. $1.37 sounds good until you read the "per litre" after it. Here it's now down to just under $1/L, and still cheaper in the US. Most of it is taxes.

I know for me, growing up using the metric system, I sometimes get mixed up with distances, and have to do the math (1 mile = 1.6 kilometres). Funny though, I grew up using pounds for weight, but always to the nearest pound, so I don't know ounces. So if someone told me they had a 50lb pack, I know exactly what that is, but if they said they had a 30 kilo pack, well then I gotta go figure that out with math again... think it's 2.2 lbs per kilo... 66 pounds... I'll carry the other one.

Either way you look at it, my knees don't care per pound or per kilo, just as long as it's light enough.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/24/15 12:55 PM

I dunno... I used to weigh my pack in pounds, but ever since I switched to metric grams, my base pack weight is now in the thousands! crazy
Posted by: Elijah21

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 11/27/15 12:51 AM

Been on the diet for one week now and am on my 3rd fast day. I have already lost 2lb so far which is amazing because I’ve tried so many diets over the past few years, which work while you’re on them but as soon as you stop the weight just piles back on.
Posted by: AMZSow

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 12/04/15 02:11 AM

yes, we should switch to metric xD

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 12/04/15 01:39 PM

As mentioned before, any further discussion on the metric system or English vs. Metric should take place in Off Topic. Thank you!
Posted by: AMZSow

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 12/08/15 03:07 AM

it's very easy to convert to metrics, just use google lol

Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. - 12/08/15 12:42 PM

Locking this topic. Most of it belongs in the "Off Topic" section. If you want to continue this discussion, please start a new thread there.