Summer sleeping bag

Posted by: mimstrel

Summer sleeping bag - 06/24/15 03:00 PM

After getting my complete sleep system assembled and testing it a couple of times...
WAY too much for summer use. Which I suspected would be the case, but what I didn't anticipate was that I rely on the extra space in a larger tent to be able to rearrange my quilt to keep both warm AND cool. I love my quilt (Enlightened Equipment Revelation series, 10 degrees). But it's too much volume to work in a solo tent.

So I'm in the market for a 40-50 degree bag or quilt. I'd prefer something that doesn't weigh more than my winter quilt (24 oz). For summer, synthetic insulation would be better than down.

I'm looking for the least expensive option that would fit these parameters. Enlightened Equipment has one at $150-$155.

Thanks!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/24/15 07:21 PM

Suspect your challenge is the fact the shell comprises most of a bag's weight as the amount of fill drops. Happened to snag a Big Agnes Pitchpine UL 45 at a good price, which is circa 20 ounces and packs extremely small, but weightwise it's barely different from your current quilt. But as to flexibility and summer use, it's pretty darn good.
Posted by: mimstrel

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/24/15 08:27 PM

I'm okay with it being close in weight to my current quilt, or even the same weight if needed. I would just feel really dumb buying a summer bag that weighs more than my winter quilt.

But, the Pitchpipe looks like it generally runs upwards of $300, so somewhat pricier than I'm looking for. Getting it for less than $150 would be a REALLY good price!
Posted by: Warren_G

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/25/15 03:25 AM

I own a Marmot Plasma 30 and suspect it has a similar feel of quality to your blanket, high loft down in a very light shell. And it's lighter than your blanket. Its not a cheap bag, but I feel I got my money's worth, its an excellent bag.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/26/15 07:07 AM

I've used a fleece blanket and am considering buying a poncho liner/woobie. They're around 20 oz. and highly regarded. They're about 40 bucks.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/26/15 03:29 PM

Confess I wouldn't have given it a second look at retail, but since it's last year's now-discontinued color (perish the thought) the price was pretty good. smile

Yes, one can have too many sleeping bags. I just don't know if I've achieved that or not.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Summer sleeping bag - 06/29/15 12:45 PM

Quote:
"Yes, one can have too many sleeping bags. I just don't know if I've achieved that or not."

laugh

I've never owned a quilt, but recently bought one for my Spanish Camino hike this coming October. I got a JRB Sierra Stealth. I felt a little uncomfortable in buying this as I really could make due with my lighter down sleeping bag.

But my wife and I just went on what turned out to be a short PCT hike in southern WA --- we bailed yesterday (our third day out) when not only the heat but the humidity was making it consistently "never a moment of fun". But I will say that this quilt was plenty for me in those conditions, and it allowed my wife to use my lighter sleeping bag --- which helped her a lot.

So I guess I've managed to justify my latest gear-lust purchase!