Tarptent Protrail optional poles

Posted by: marciero

Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/18/15 04:54 PM

Hi all. First post here.
I was considering this tent and was wondering how long the optional poles are when collapsed.
Suppose I could check with the company...

Mike
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/18/15 05:52 PM

It's on the Tarptent website, under "Ordering"/"Extras"
Posted by: marciero

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/19/15 06:56 PM

Thanks! guess I overlooked that...
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/20/15 03:25 PM

I am also looking at the pro-trail tent. If anyone has used it, I would like to hear how you like it. My Moment has about one more season left (on third replacement zipper, and floor leaks from numerous tiny pin-sized holes) so I am not immediately in the market for a new tent, but am looking.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/20/15 03:57 PM

Had you looked at the newer Moment DW (double wall)? It's supposed to be more storm-worthy, and would solve the condensation issues you had with yours.

Isn't Nevada City close enough that you could drop in on Henry Shires for a visit? I seem to remember it's being "just up the hill," but the last time I was there was the fall of 1963, so my memories of course have faded! That way you could look over all of Henry's models.

I suspect you may want to wait a year for field evaluations of the Protrail, since it has just become available.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/20/15 06:59 PM

Slick little tent, didn't know about this one.

Reminiscent of my Virga, which was his first one-man tent, only much improved WRT space and (presumably) wind-resistance. The Virga is awfully snug.

Generally, if one can leave the door open partway, condensation can usually be controlled. Of course, microclimates will have their way with most tent designs under "ideal" conditions and then it's important to have space to deal with the drips and puddles.

Henry makes a great tent and has many, many happy customers.

Cheers,
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Tarptent Protrail optional poles - 04/20/15 07:19 PM

Yes, it is only a 45 minute drive. I have gone up there before to look at tents. I looked at the Moment before I bought it. But, I am more interested in how they work under various conditions. I do not know what the reason, but leaving the door open on the Moment, does not solve the condensation problem.