Early Winters Light Dimension Tent Assembly

Posted by: Carbo

Early Winters Light Dimension Tent Assembly - 04/18/15 02:37 PM

I went into my hot, stuffy south Florida attic to retrieve my 40 year old tent, where it has remained inside the stuff sack for probably 30 years. My kid is heading to the Lake Tahoe area this summer for about a month and needs a tent.
Well, after about a 90 minute struggle I figured I'd better find a source of information on how to assemble this tent, because I sure as heck haven't been able to. Can't get the poles set up. I'm sure there's a technique for inserting the poles easily and quickly and snapping them into shape. Be damned if I know. Any suggestions?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Early Winters Light Dimension Tent Assembly - 04/18/15 03:12 PM

This is your lucky day! (Or, at least I hope so.)

Here's how:

-Assemble the poles but do not lock the center section.
-Insert the pole ends into the top opening of each pole sleeve until the tips are at the sleeve bottom. Must do both sides simultaneously.
-Press downward and form a hoop, then slide the locking collar across to the other pole leg.
-Repeat for the other pole.
-Stake tent one end or the other, which first should not matter.
-Stretch it taut and stake the other end.
-Done.

Big caveat: if the fabric coating inside the pole sleeves is sticky, it may be hard to slide the poles all the way in. Some talcum powder or something similar might be a help, just don't be surprised if the coating there and on the floor is breaking down.

It's a great, classic tent. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Originally Posted By Carbo
I went into my hot, stuffy south Florida attic to retrieve my 40 year old tent, where it has remained inside the stuff sack for probably 30 years. My kid is heading to the Lake Tahoe area this summer for about a month and needs a tent.
Well, after about a 90 minute struggle I figured I'd better find a source of information on how to assemble this tent, because I sure as heck haven't been able to. Can't get the poles set up. I'm sure there's a technique for inserting the poles easily and quickly and snapping them into shape. Be damned if I know. Any suggestions?
Posted by: aimless

Re: Early Winters Light Dimension Tent Assembly - 04/18/15 03:16 PM

I can't help you set up your tent. I've never seen one. But I can give you a tip. After 40 years in a bag, the rain fly has probably deteriorated badly and is no longer even remotely waterproof. You should turn a sprinkler or hose on it to see if it leaks. It almost certainly will, but maybe you'll be lucky.

Good luck, but you may need a backup plan for a useable tent.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Early Winters Light Dimension Tent Assembly - 04/18/15 05:00 PM

It's quite possible. No fly though, because it's the first GoreTex tent made.

Cheers,