Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes

Posted by: nemeseri

Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes - 03/25/15 03:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

I know that there are numerous posts about footwear, but I think everyone's need is different, so I thought it worth to ask you about some suggestions.

1., A little bit about me: I'm a novice hiker who only does day hikes on moderate terrain. I hiked half dome in a pair of running shoes because I didn't even have proper hiking boots. I'm light (130 lbs) and I prefer to pack light for a trip.

2., I need a pair of boots for hiking in the snow. The temperature will be somewhere between 25-38. I prefer lightweight boots and free movement. But I will need decent waterproofness because of the possibility of melting snow.

Because this will be my first hiking boot, I'd prefer something more versatile I can maybe use on day hikes during spring time and in winter with thick wool socks, gaiters or maybe with gore tex socks to keep the water out better.

I know that there is no all in one solution, but I'd like to pick something more versatile for general day hiking.

3., I'm torn between something lighter and comfortable like Asolo Reston WP (http://www.asolo.com/en/products/hiking-en/natural-shape-en/reston-wp-a27504-00-en.html) and heavier, sturdier boots with more support like the Scarpa Charmoz, Asolo Avalon GTX, Iowa Renegade GTX.

Which one is better for these use cases above? I'm ok to use layers to extend the capabilities of the boots. But it would be nice to have something I can use for long hikes during summer, maybe on a 2 day hike.

Thanks
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes - 03/25/15 04:32 PM

I think the Asolos you link to would be fine for snow and "shoulder season" hiking; perhaps overkill for mid-season when you can return to trail sneakers. I've been enjoying an earlier version of these, which are similar. Mid-height keeps out a lot of debris and a light pair of gaiters can add protection if needed. I've decided a lightweight mid-height trumps a low-top in keeping out debris and protecting my ankles from smashing on rocks and things. I might feel differently if I only hiked forest trails.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes - 03/26/15 06:57 AM

I've found that continually wet boots wet out, eventually. If you expect to stay dry, you need a specific, waterproof boot. You might consider buying a pair of overshoes like these http://www.gearcor.com/trs7/NEOS-Trekker-Overshoe.htm
to use over your trail runners or light boots. They're snowshoe friendly, you might have to check on micro-spikes or crampons depending on model. In cold snow conditions I often just wear my mid-high boots, which I've sized to allow heavy socks. Take that into account if you go that way.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Winter Hiking Boots for day hikes - 03/26/15 12:58 PM

For anything above 20F, pretty much any traditional waterproof boot will do. I would not get an insulated one. Thick wool socks are plenty. Gortex ones work, but I prefer all leather with no gortex. Get gaitors up to your knees as well.

If they are not insulated, then they will work late spring and early fall, or really high altitude in the summer as well.

Other than that, make sure they fit correctly.

Basically, what an old school backpacker would get for summer time would work for anything above 20F. Think waffle stompers. smile

If you don't want all leather, then anything gortex with thick socks will do ya.