PCT ultralight thru hike gear list

Posted by: FlyingFish

PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 11/25/14 02:40 AM

Hi,
I am going to be attempting to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail in 2015. I am doing some gear prep, and I made a pretty rough list of what i will be bringing. It's very inaccurate as I don't actually have most of the gear as of yet, and I will add and subtract things as the date comes closer.
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=21566
Just wanted some advice
Does it sound realistic?
Anything I missed?
Anything I could take off?
thanks

Posted by: aimless

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 11/25/14 01:20 PM

Personally, I find little use for soap when I am on the trail. It comes in handy when I get off the trail, but it is usually available then.

I couldn't tell how your sleeping bag is rated, but it can get very cold in the high desert at night and in the Sierras. When you have so few clothes, your bag can be a lifesaver. As for the rest,I don't have the correct expertise to comment.
Posted by: mekineer

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 12/01/14 02:34 PM

Wow, that's some really light gear!
I would do without the stove, but that may not be most people's priority.

How do the Aquamira chlorine tablets compare with a Sawyer mini? Is it worth it to save some weight and drink chlorine all of the Pacific Crest Trail?

I think bandanas function better than pack towels.

I always take a few individually wrapped wet wipes. I'm on the fence between that and/or hand sanitizer. Perhaps the sanitizer makes more sense for a longer trip.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 03/10/15 05:11 PM

Sorry to be a late poster. I just want to say your list looks awesome. It appears you have done a lot of backpacking when it’s this dialed in. You have an excellent idea: using a mosquito headnet double duty as a stuffsack for clothes.

Some things I would add:
Map
Gloves (for sun or cold)
Matches (I find it easier to light alcohol with a match vs flipping the bic upside down and burning your thumb).
Small flashlight
Thermometer (lets me know if reality matches my sanity)
trowel
comb (if you like)

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 03/11/15 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By BarryP
Matches (I find it easier to light alcohol with a match vs flipping the bic upside down and burning your thumb).

Depending on the stove you're using, you may be able to light the fuel through the jet ports without inverting the lighter. That's what I do.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 03/12/15 02:44 PM

Depends on the temperature. Below freezing the match needs to actually touch the alcy to get it lit.

-Barry
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: PCT ultralight thru hike gear list - 03/18/15 05:47 PM

under your electronics category, I'd look into altering a wall charger so that it has two low voltage plugs directly & permantly attached to it..one cord for the ipad and the other the battery charger this will allow the ipad to be charged from the wall charger or the ( keep 'em under 6"). could save some space and weight P.S. I took a look at the proposed wall charger- if you don't mind some advice, it would be, don't buy it! the folding 120volt prongs appeal to most of us but, the internal wires ( the ones that are soldered to the prongs inside of the charger)are flexed every time the prongs are moved- eventually the wire breaks. repair is possible, if you're skilled, but on the trail,or motel room, I doubt if it could be done.