Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear?

Posted by: 4evrplan

Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/07/14 03:17 PM

I've never used Scotchgard, but I'm wondering if it would make a wind blocker and wind pants sufficiently water resistant to use as rain gear. This could also double as a light shell over insulating layers when it's not raining. Has anyone ever tried anything like that?

The other idea would be to brush on thinned silicone sealer like people sometimes do with tents. I would think it'd still be cheaper than buying dedicated hiking rain gear.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/07/14 03:37 PM

I once tried a spray-on water repellent similar to Scotchguard on a nylon wind breaker and wind pants, thinking the same thing. It worked very poorly and I got soaked. I don't know if I applied it poorly or if it was that the product didn't work, but I never experimented with it again.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/07/14 05:51 PM

My understanding is that Scotch Guard is sold to make the individual strands of fabric impermeable, so that they won't absorb moisture. But this doesn't make the fabric waterproof...it just makes it easier to clean.
Posted by: carbeque

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/07/14 10:26 PM

It would seem that Scotch Guard would make the individual fibers hydrophobic, which would keep them from wetting, which would keep the water out by means of its own surface tension.

Here's an interesting how-to: http://www.ehow.com/how_5931315_waterproof-nylon-jacket.html
I wonder how much a good result depends on the heating step...

-Rodney
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/08/14 03:43 PM

My initial guess is that if the jacket already has some polyurethane coating on it, then a silicone spray won't stick. If, however, the jacket is just nylon, then a silicone spray will stick. But, I have never had good results from spraying with a silicone spray. I have only had good results from thinning out silicone and then applying it like a paint.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/08/14 03:51 PM

Have you used that pain-on method on clothing, or just other outdoor gear?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/08/14 04:36 PM

Can't imagine this working. Windbreaker clothing already have DWR coating, which Scotchgard basically is, and even if they cohabited the fabric harmoniously you wouldn't receive double-durable water repellancy. Light moisture beads up and runs off; heavy moisture/windblown rain wets through.

Waterproof means either impermeable fabric or a bonded waterproof layer. Cheap, impermeable raingear is easy to find and doubles as a great portable sauna. Waterproof-breathable fabrics are trickier and come in many types, the most famous being Goretex. Those can get expensive, but there's always sales and second-hand. Somewhere off to the side are ponchos, which can protect you and your pack and generally are pretty cheap. Make a decent tarp in camp, too

When I was in college it was the rage to empty a can of Scotchgard into a pair of Levis and go skiing. What can I say?

Cheers,
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Scotchgard For Cheap Raingear? - 10/09/14 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Have you used that pain-on method on clothing, or just other outdoor gear?

Just tarps