Help Me Decide

Posted by: Boogie

Help Me Decide - 09/01/14 04:39 PM

I m looking for new boots, and I have narrowed it down to two boots that fit. One, the Salomon Quest is comfy and light, and the Asolo TPS 535 V, which is also comfy, but a bit heavier (sturdier?) than the Salomon. I haven't bought a pair of boots in 20 years because my last pair were full grain leather and were built to last. So with the rage of light gear, do I go the Salomon route, or do I stick with longevity and get the leather boots (Asolo)? I want a pair of boots that will also carry a heavy load, which I am sure the Asolo will do, but not sure about the Salomon (never owned a pair of synthetic boot like these). Anyhow, they are both comfy, any recommendations, suggestions, etc...? They will mainly be used on extended backpacking trips with a ~40lb pack.

Thanks in advance!!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Help Me Decide - 09/01/14 05:48 PM

Footwear is an individual choice and the bottom line is to buy the footwear that fits. At a couple hundred a pair boots can be an expensive experiment.

The full grain leather boots have probably convinced you never to own full grain leather boots again. That's probably a good choice as they not only need to be broken in, but if they aren't worn for awhile, they become stiff and need to be broken in again.

What has been off people's radar is the progress in military boots. Soldiers have more flexibility in buying non-issue combat boots than they used to. Companies are rushing to get their boots approved for use. The combat boot of today is only a cousin to old boots in the sense they are both worn on the feet.

I took a chance three years ago and bought these boots from Danner. Over 2,800 measured miles later I'm still wearing them. I do keep the soles covered with Gorilla tape so the soles don't wear out.

They are comfortable right out of the box. They are completely waterproof. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

People will say a pound on the foot equals six pounds on the back. The experiment that "proved" this nonsense was done with six volunteer college students wearing five pound boots and carrying 80 pound packs on a treadmill set at a 15 degree climb.

Jardine calculated the energy cost of lifting excess weight over thousands of feet while failing to calculate the more significant cost of maintaining balance on a relatively unstable platform the shoe gives relative to a boot.

If you elect to try the Danner boots, I recommend thick socks. Order a half size longer and a size wider than the size measured with the old fashioned ruler thing. They should have plenty of room to wiggle your toes in all directions and about a half to 3/4 inch of room in front of your toes.

PS: Mine is a minority opinion.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Help Me Decide - 09/01/14 05:58 PM

I just got an email these boots are on sale for $110. I bought a pair.

Link
Posted by: Goofytune

Re: Help Me Decide - 09/02/14 06:54 PM

I use an old pair of Bates I bought 10 years ago. After a couple cross country road trips and countless miles from other trips and just plain everyday use, they are still in decent shape. But I think it might be getting close to getting a new pair. they just don't feel as comfy as they used to.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Help Me Decide - 09/02/14 09:24 PM

I like my Salomon. I've never gotten blistered while paired with good socks, and I've carried up to 25 pounds with them.
Posted by: Honas

Re: Help Me Decide - 05/24/15 05:47 AM

Fit is obviously the most important factor. aside from that I can recommend Lowa and Han Weg. since those weren't the two that you mentioned Solomon's would be my next choice I have bad experiences with Asolo breaking down and wearing quickly.