Getting serious but need suggestions...

Posted by: cocadori

Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/01/14 04:18 PM

Hello all,

Serious wilderness adventurer, and have logged many. many miles via horseback into the Lee Metcalf (MT) and Washakie (WY) Wilderness areas. Packing my gear was easy via the pack saddles and panniers.. however, the photography bug has bitten me and good and now most of my packing is via backpack. My situation is that I am taking a good amount of photography gear that weighs 40+ lbs and I need to take in the gear that allows me to spend 3-5 days. I have a pack now and it's marginal at best and after all the miles logged this summer I'm in need of a better pack.
Soooo I need suggestion on comfortable well built packs that make heavy loads easy on ya...

I'm all ears.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/01/14 08:21 PM

In my opinion, if you need to haul heavy loads, nothing beats the old fashioned external frame pack. I still use my Kelty that I bought in 1969! I have replaced the shoulder straps and hip belt with much lighter versions, added a sternum strap, and sewed my own pack bag of much lighter material. The result is 3.5 pounds for the pack and frame. The pack is very versatile - can move the load as needed. When I carried full on climbing gear (about 30 pounds) it all was tied to the top, attached to the extender bar.

Re: Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/03/14 07:23 AM

I've thought about and external frame.... hmmm
Posted by: JPete

Re: Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/05/14 06:58 PM

cocadori,

I will second the suggestion of an external frame.I still have my Kelty from the 60s and still use it occasionally.

I once took my whole working bag (about 35 lbs. at that time) over the top of Kathadin along with my regular backpacking gear (also about 35 lbs. at that time), and had no trouble handling the load.

Incidentally, I met Ed Garvey on the top of Kathadin that trip, and took the picture that became the cover of his book. That experience is what inspired me 25 years later to do a thru hike myself.

In case you're trying to compare, the load was three Nikon F bodies, two motors, five lenses, flash guns, meter, and odds and sods. I was working for UPI at the time and shooting company transparency color film.

best, jcp

Re: Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/08/14 06:56 AM

Well that's pretty convincing right there...

Thanks...
Posted by: shuddleson

Re: Getting serious but need suggestions... - 09/14/14 09:03 AM

I used to pack a Nikon Ftn with generally three lenses, add the climbing gear in and it all added up but then I was young. I bought a Nixon P7100 a few years ago and it has logged a lot of shots over the past few years. The P7XXX series is a serious pro camera (I am sure those other guys have equal kit) and really delivers the goods in a small package. The camera is just the tool you use to take the picture. The photographer is the critical element. It works well for me anyway.