Guy lines in danger

Posted by: balzaccom

Guy lines in danger - 07/09/14 02:26 PM

Anyone else had this issue?
After the first night of our first trip with our brand new tent, I was packing up the tent when I noticed that one of the guy lines for the tent looked odd—frayed, frazzled, and worn.
The only explanation was a rodent chewing away on it, hoping to capture some of the fibers for a nest?
Wild.
We’re just happy that the little guy (yuck yuck) didn’t eat all the way through and send the tent collapsing around our ears. Stands up to gale force winds, rain, hail…
Brought down by a chipmunk.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Guy lines in danger - 07/09/14 03:59 PM

Pro tip: stop salting your guylines. eek

Have plenty of items chewed/nibbled/slobbered on but can't recall this ever happening. One-ounce critters exist to keep us humble.

Cheers,
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Guy lines in danger - 07/09/14 06:30 PM

Worst I have ever had was around 500 daddy-long-legs spiders between the mesh and the rain fly. Harmless but tickled like heck when you try to dislodge them. (They really REALLY wanted back on the tent!)

I have had a few things wander into the tent but nothing damaging (including a bear cub...though he did destroy a roll of paper towel but left everything else alone).

Oh, and for some odd reason, slugs like to squip their way up the guylines and you don't think much about it until you grab the line and.. 'yuck...'