Big Agnes Zipperless tent

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/06/14 03:03 PM

I see that Big Agnes has a zipperless tent UL Fishhook. the netting overlaps. Has anyone used this tent? Do mosquitoes eventually get inside?

I am frustrated with zippers. My Tarptent Moment now has another broken zipper. This is the third tent I have owned that zippers broke well before the tent wore out. The idea of no zippers appeals to me, as long as bugs do not get inside.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/06/14 04:33 PM

Yes, those lightweight zippers wear out fast. Several companies (I think TT is one, but not sure) suggest regular cleaning of the zipper teeth with a damp cloth.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/06/14 05:10 PM

Frustrating to me is that I sew and am perfectly capable of replacing a zipper if I only could purchase a replacement zipper! Hard to find such. All my zippers break at the curve in the zipper. Old tents used two straight zippers lasted longer. Two zippers also broke on my pack on my most recent trip. Both gaiter straps broke. Got two more holes in my hiking pants. I was hoping to get one more season from my old gear.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/06/14 11:12 PM

Nancy, try shorter trips (two weeks) instead of a month, stay home more, spoil the grandkids. smile
Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/07/14 12:41 AM

Call Henry Shires--if he won't replace the zipper (he has in the past), he'll send you one!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/09/14 10:07 AM

My homemade tent doesn't have a zipper. It just overlaps. I haven't used it THAT much, but I haven't seen a problem with the little vampires getting inside.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Big Agnes Zipperless tent - 06/10/14 02:08 AM

WD: I really like what I'm seeing about this tent. I think with the overlapping fabric and those clips, that this tent wouldn't let mosquitos in. I'd love to hear some feedback from someone with one.