waterproof gloves

Posted by: mira.mikes

waterproof gloves - 03/24/14 02:50 PM

Hi all,

I am interested what other people wearing in rainy on their hands wink
I am just bit disappointed with my sealskinz gloves ... they were fine in rain for couple of hours, but got wet latter anyway and they are drying so long.

Any advice for me?

best regards

mira
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/24/14 07:28 PM

Smartwool liner gloves and Mountain Laurel Designs eVent overmitts. The overmitts do have to be seam sealed. The great thing about the separate rain mitts and insulating gloves or mitts is that they are so much easier to dry if the inevitable happens. In addition, I can grab a hot pot with the wool gloves--try that with synthetic gloves and they'll melt.

I also have a pair of fleece mittens for really cold weather when more than one insulating layer is desirable. Fleece dries really fast, but don't use them as a pot holder!

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/25/14 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Smartwool liner gloves and Mountain Laurel Designs eVent overmitts. The overmitts do have to be seam sealed. The great thing about the separate rain mitts and insulating gloves or mitts is that they are so much easier to dry if the inevitable happens.

Thank you!
MLD eVent overmitts is definitely sth what will buy in future they looks awesome, but exists some budget or emergency solution?
I was thinking about some plastic gloves/mitts used over woolen gloves?

As regards Smartwool liner gloves ... there is sth special on them except you can use touch screen devices?
http://www.rei.com/product/835651/smartwool-liner-gloves#descriptionTab

best regards

mira
Posted by: phat

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/25/14 08:16 AM

if coarser wool doesn't bother you, regular "ragg wool" gloves that you can get at a workwear store will work fine too. I use these, and they're cheap.

having said that those are just insulation. in the winter I use a pair of gore-tex overmitts, but outside of that I normally don't bother, or I'm just wearing a pair of mechanics gloves (leather and nylon) while I hike - I'm ok with my hands getting wet (as long as I don't get cold) So I may be a bad example for you..
Posted by: Dryer

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/25/14 08:57 AM

In warm weather, no gloves. My hands are waterproor.

If cold, rag wool mittens or gloves and snowboard shell over-mittens. Mine have gauntlets and are very dry, warm, and lightweight. Campmor is a good source for all.

My kayak/sailing/motorcycling gloves are really Mechanix work gloves. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes all have them. They aren't waterproof but keep the chill off and dry really quickly.

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/26/14 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By phat
I'm ok with my hands getting wet (as long as I don't get cold) So I may be a bad example for you..

Last weekend in mountains I got temperatures varying just above freezing and all day heavy rain.
In this conditions wet means cold wink

So I am searching for some UL bombproof solution for my hands. I was thinking even about rubber surgical gloves over woolen.

regards

mira
Posted by: mrnic3guy

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/30/14 12:19 AM

Look at rei.com they have a link to rei outlet which is their sales and clearance I saw some good gloves there for cheap checkem out.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/30/14 06:56 AM

That's what snowboard shells are. Waterproof, tough, very light weight, and you can wear your choice of wool mittens/gloves underneath. It's a layering system.

Search "shell mitts" or "mitten shells" and several pop up. Surgical gloves would certainly do it but they will eventually shread.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: waterproof gloves - 03/30/14 07:43 AM

I'm a fan of the convertible mitten/gloves. I use the Hot Hedz brand http://www.hotheadz.net/pogl.html and found them durable and warm, even when a bit wet. I fish all winter down to 0 F, and they still keep you warm. I also use them working (I'm a builder) . They're in my backpack ready for a trip right now. grin I use to use Dachstein Mitts of felted wool, but they seem impossible to get now, though they use to be the hot ticket in the 70's. For rain, I throw a cheap overmitt over them, and you have the option of warmth of the fleece mitt on or off under them. If you take the mitt off you have the option of full dexterity immediately. At times, since my shell is a little long in the sleeves, I've let my fingers exposed and tightened the cuffs around my palms. My hands stayed warm, as they are protected and warmed to the knuckles by the glomitts. It's a pretty cheap and effective modular system for me.