Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection

Posted by: hikerduane

Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 07:47 PM

Thinking of either getting another ZPacks Hexamid tent, since I sold the one I used last summer with tent pole, stakes etc. weighted 12.5 oz. but would need the edges of a ground cloth raised to avoid water intrusion if in a rain, or getting the new Six Moon Designs Deschutes tarp (coming in the first quarter of 2014) 7oz. and adding their Serenity netting tent 8oz. that has a silnylon bathtub type bottom built in, which would be a no hassle water protection item. Add to that the tent pole of 2oz. and stakes, line, coming in then about 19 oz. maybe at the least.
Do you like good protection, or do you "get by" like I usually do for the summer season? I did not like the grit blowing in a few times with the Hex and would like some cover from wind, although the SMD systems bathtub bottom does not look like it comes up much. I sold my old, 10? year old TT floorless Squall which weighted 24oz.
Duane
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 08:15 PM

What about the Soloplex from z packs? 14.6 onces tarp,bug protection, bathtub floor. Looks to be better protected than the hex.

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 08:55 PM

Hi Tyson,
Price, $535. I believe after poles (2), stakes etc. comes to 20oz. maybe, many state the cuben floor will not stand up very good. The Hex tent is $295, waiting to see the price for the SMD tarp.
Duane

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 09:08 PM

How about this at 7.8 oz
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/hiking-climbing-shelters/tarps/echo-i-tarp.html

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 09:29 PM

Nupe. That weighs more than the Deschutes by a little has less side to the ground coverage, but could be pitched lower, add $25 and you have the Hexamid tent.
Duane

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 10:09 PM

Picky picky picky! Why did you seek the hex anyways?

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/12/14 10:51 PM

The Hex had a good review by a guy I met at the recent gathering I went to at Morgan Hill and its really, really light weight. Sold it because of the large staked foot print, which maybe wasn't a good idea. Hoping to make a decision in the next few weeks. Waiting to see what the Deschutes price is. A bug net tent in combi with the Deschutes would give good overall protection and since most nights out it does not rain, would only have to erect the bug tent, saving wear and tear on the cuben material of the main tarp. The combo though weighs more than the Hex tent which isn't versatile, not that it is that big of a deal for me.
Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/13/14 12:11 AM

ZPacks has a new tent just out, in both solo and 2-person versions, which has a sewn-in bathtub floor (no more netting floor) and, at least on the 2-person version, 2 doors and 2 vestibules (set a bit higher than the beak on the Hexamid). You might want to take a look.

Re: Aging, lighter shelter or more, overall protection - 02/13/14 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
ZPacks has a new tent just out, in both solo and 2-person versions, which has a sewn-in bathtub floor (no more netting floor) and, at least on the 2-person version, 2 doors and 2 vestibules (set a bit higher than the beak on the Hexamid). You might want to take a look.
yea that's the Soloplex I mentioned earlier in this thread.