Thermometer, do you take one?

Posted by: rockchucker22

Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/19/14 11:23 PM

I like to know what the temperature is when I wake up cold. But now think I probably could go with out. Do you carry one, if so what kind? Thanks
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 12:57 AM

Have a zipper tab thermometer on my pack and my nerd watch has temperature (great for keeping tabs on my wrist temp, or I can check in-shelter temps in the morning since I take it off overnight).

Cheers,
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 06:08 AM

No. All it does is quantify the suffering. smile
Posted by: Pika

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 08:01 AM

Yes, I take an accurate spirit-in-glass thermometer with me. I like to know how my gear selections work at various temperatures. The thermometer has an aluminum case and weighs 0.8 oz. it is accurate to the nearest 0.2 degree F.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 08:52 AM

Pika, what did you get? I have a few zip-o-gauges and just picked up a chef's cooking thermometer, that gives good readings within a few seconds, but has a small battery. Shows my others are only off by 2-5 degrees. I like to see how gear is working too, or bragging rights on a cold trip, like one sub-zero trip already this year. I think. smile
Duane
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 09:36 AM

Yup....simple zipper pull. Accurate enough for me, and cheap. I have several, on various jackets and keyrings.

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 10:17 AM

That's what currently have, I thought maybe there was something more accurate but still light weight. It's all the little stuff that adds up!
Posted by: bamudd

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 10:36 AM

I never take one because I don't want to carry a fancy digital one, and when I really want to know how cold it was, is in the morning when I wake up and I want to know how cold it was outside when it's already warmed up a little.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 07:46 PM

Yeah, but you really don't need the accuracy. I care if it's freezing or if it's crazy hot, and that's it. I like the zipper pull therms because they are light and accurate enough. When you buy them, compare with all the others in the pile and you'll see they are pretty much dead on. I've also seen circular buttons that are bi-metal spring types, as well as liquid crystal versions. Gimme something simple and lightweight.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 08:06 PM

Duane, the one I have is from VanWaters and Rogers us.vwr.com item number 61019-240 and costs about $25. It comes with an aluminum case for protection.

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 08:07 PM

Thanks Paul, great insight as usual. I'll stick with my old zipper model.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Thermometer, do you take one? - 01/20/14 11:18 PM

Oh boy, new gear! smile It's that light for glass and that accurate? Wow. Comes with a plastic case now I see.
Duane