Mid-light Backpacks

Posted by: bamudd

Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 06:07 PM

I'm looking for a new backpack in the 50-60 liter range, for carrying loads in the 20-30 pound range, but capable of occasionally going up to 40 lbs. I want at least some metal internal framing (allow, aluminum, whatever) but I want something lighter than my giant traditional style Gregory. Preferably in the 2-3 pound range. I'm on the tall side of a medium in most backpack fits, and a pretty solid medium waistbelt, so no fitting issues, so no unusual fitting issues.

Suggestions? I'm really liking the look of HMG's Southwest 3400 but I'd like to consider other alternatives before I make any decision.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 06:27 PM

HMG makes a great product, I just got a custom pack from here that I love and would precisely fit your needs.
http://www.zimmerbuilt.com

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 06:45 PM

Oh brilliant I hadn't seen them. Lots of models. Which one did you get and what did it run you?

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 06:55 PM

I got one based on his halfdome model. My main compartment is 3100 cu in. but seems like with the extension collar I could put significantly more in there if needed. I got Dyneema x pack body and x - PAC lid

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 07:00 PM

Great, thanks. How much have you had loaded in yours?

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 07:03 PM

Oh and are his packs rain-proof? I don't know how water-proof or water-resistant either Dyneema X or XPac are. Actually know nothing about either fabric at all.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 07:50 PM

X PAC will be more water resistant than Dyneema x, and cuben even more so. I wasn't worried about water proof because I use a trash compactor bag to keep all my important stuff. Being in the west we are fairly dry, so I worry more about slipping on a river crossing and getting the whole pack submerged.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 07:51 PM

Oh and that's why I went with an x PAC lid, for mild rain keeping the bulk of the moisture off my main compartment.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 09:18 PM

Good to know, thanks.

Your pack tastes seem a bit different from mine, but there's no denying you've got an awesome piece.

Color aside, this is bloody beautiful:

(Photo shamelessly stolen from Mark Andrews, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71292&startat=20&id=QZstHfat:74.142.42.42)

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/18/14 10:08 PM

With Dyneema X you can't pick any color, only black. But I have other packs out of it and the material is wonderfully strong. Especially for the weight.
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/19/14 02:14 AM

Wow what a selection. Like Bp'n candy store cool I would love to try a few of those on for size/comfort.

jimmyb

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/20/14 10:38 AM

So it's looking like Hyperlite Mountain Gear or Zimmerbuilt would be about the same price with the options I want. Does anyone have any thoughts about one vs. the other?

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/20/14 10:40 AM

Except, the ZB one would be in Xpac which is also waterproof and light, but more durable than cuben fiber.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/20/14 08:04 PM

I went through the same conundrum and ended up with the Zimmerbuilt. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. I went the way I did because I wanted to customize a few things. I've held/fondled a wind rider today, very nice pack, but I'm glad I went with Zimmerbuilt.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/21/14 12:17 AM

Yeah. I'm pretty much leaning that way too.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/21/14 12:17 AM

Also, I really don't like how all of HMG's stuff is white, and then they charge you an arm and a leg for other colors. Is stupid. Colored cuben fiber doesn't cost that much more, like at all.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/22/14 10:51 PM

Ok, so, been looking and reading and thinking more.

These are my three primary contenders:

(Order alphabetical only)

--HMG Southwest 3400
--ULA Catalyst
--Zimmerbuilt ZB2 with custom layout

Anyone have any reasons why I should choose one over the others? Yes, the Catalyst is a pound heavier, but it looks to have an awesome-well designed backpanel and suspension, which is most of what's keeping it in the running.

Re: Mid-light Backpacks - 01/22/14 11:10 PM

ZB has a good internal frame that is removable, once again you can't go wrong with any of them. I've never seen a ULA pack, but never read a bad word either . If I was to get a HMG pack it would be the southwest!