Back Packs - need suggestions!

Posted by: DaCachNBulk

Back Packs - need suggestions! - 12/29/13 08:41 PM

The fiance and I are about to embark in the Allegheny Forest - we are going to paddle for a few days and then drop the kayaks and hike for a few days. we are set on the paddling - but the big question is - does anyone have a reco for backpacks? Future mister is 6'6" and I am 5'6 - looking for recos for both comfort and lightweight, as well as his and hers. all and any reco's welcome!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Back Packs - need suggestions! - 12/29/13 10:11 PM

Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of good packs out there so it's really a matter of what kind of gear you have and how much.

If you have big sleeping bags and heavier gear you might want to look at external frame packs so you can tie your bag on to the frame and haul the heavy load a bit easier. If you have lightweight down bags that compress small and lightweight gear you might want to look at internal frame lightweight packs designed more for that.

Generally speaking though, you want to find a pack that fits your gear, fits you, and is comfortable.

Tell us a bit more about your gear and what you've looked at so far and we can probably offer something more specific.
Posted by: Talthing

Re: Back Packs - need suggestions! - 12/29/13 11:01 PM

I use the Osprey Hornet 46. it's 26 ounces. Use Ultrasil waterproof bags for stuff you don't want to get wet (very lightweight waterproof bags.) For sleeping I use an OR Alpine bivy, Mtn Hardware Ultralamina 15, Thermarest NeoAir XL lite air mattress and a Cocoon hyperlight air pillow. Use an Alpine Designs Compressor sack, roll your air mattress, sleeping bag and pillow (fits in bivy pocket) together (be sure to zip up the bivy) and attach to the top of the main pocket on the pack pulling the top pocket over the bedroll. 7.5 lbs total (and your sleep system is protected by the bivy) and clothes, etc by the waterproof bags...pack itself isn't waterproof, but dries very quickly.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Back Packs - need suggestions! - 12/30/13 06:23 AM

Get thee to the nearby backpacking store (including REI, but excluding most other big box stores), and take all the gear and food you intend to hike with. (Call the store first to find out when their slow periods are, as a courtesy.) Then load your gear into a number of packs until you find one you like. I've used Osprey and Equinox packs recently, settling on the Osprey Volt; I also liked the Osprey Atmos. (Both are offered in various sizes and capacities; there are also female-specific versions called Viva and Aura.)

Without knowing a lot more about your gear, it's tough to be any more specific.