Tarptent Moment

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Tarptent Moment - 10/13/13 03:01 PM

A guy at work bought a Moment and used it one time in his backyard to set up. He is letting me used it and everything. (I probably end up taking it off his hand) I got the tent out the bag and noticed one of the carbon poles were bent.. This bent was such a pain to push through the channel to set up. Is it suppose be like this or did he bent it somehow? I'm contact Tarptent about it, but I didn't think they bend this easily...

If I end up taking command of this tent after the pole situation is solved, I'm wanting to add guy lines, I'm kind of nervous about being in windy situation.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Tarptent Moment - 10/13/13 03:21 PM

Weird, have never seen that happen. Metal, sure, but CF?

I wonder whether that occurred when it was stored, rather than stress when pitched? Maybe something heavy was placed on top of the bagged tent?

Cheers,

Re: Tarptent Moment - 10/13/13 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Weird, have never seen that happen. Metal, sure, but CF?

I wonder whether that occurred when it was stored, rather than stress when pitched? Maybe something heavy was placed on top of the bagged tent?

Cheers,

My thoughts exactly. Or it was in the tent bag in his pack and had his pack laying on something that causes it to bow over duration of storage.. *sigh* I'll send Henry email see what he can do.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tarptent Moment - 10/13/13 04:59 PM

The standard set up CF pole is a composite, some CF and some Al sections.
I have seen many long poles that get a bend after several uses (same size as that Moment external X pole and up...) but it is unusual with the shorter type.
Replacement poles are available from TT , just ask at info@tarptent.

Set UP.
This is how the Moment should look like correctly set up :

(I call that shot :The Attack of the Moments)
I suspect that you just put it up to see what it looks like but if the shelter is set up like that in the bush it will not work.

Guylines
I almost always use mine , There are two guyout points on the main pole sleeve
My Moment (first version):

BTW, this is how the end of the Moment and the Notch should look like, with the stake fully in (if possible) but at that angle (note that all the tie-outs point downwards) :

Re: Tarptent Moment - 10/13/13 07:42 PM

Henry emailed me back and said the main arch has a prebend in the design to relief some stress load.