Where to find inexpensive convertible pants?

Posted by: MKenyon2

Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 11:11 AM

So, I'm thinking I'd like to try some convertible pants. Who has good prices for decent stuff?
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 12:31 PM

Columbia is the best priced/quality combination.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 02:03 PM

You might check Campmor or Sierra Trading Post. I don't like convertible pants (or long pants) myself; I hike in shorts year around, and layer long johns under them in colder weather. If I need some long pants (a cool evening in camp, or a long stretch of grass heavy with dew, or such) I just use my rain pants.
Posted by: lori

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 02:08 PM

I finally broke down and bought a pair of Kuhls. I hike so much the cheap light convertibles developed holes in the rear within four months.

And, I stopped buying convertibles, since I never zipped off the legs. The Kuhls I have roll up into cargo capris - walking with them rolled up was a mistake, I ended up with burrs in my socks and too much junk in my shoes.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 04:25 PM

Look in the cheaper outdoor stores. In Texas it is Academy Sports. In Utah here, it is Big 5. Just look around for the cheap chain sports stores.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/13/13 04:58 PM

My local army/navy surplus store has cheap convertible pants. Or did, last time I was there. Worth a shot, if you're interested. Just look for ones that nylon or some kind of microfiber.
Posted by: PDA

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/23/13 06:53 PM

I regularly troll through my local thrift store and have found fully servicable shorts and convertibles for ledd than $10. also merino sweaters for little more.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 09/23/13 07:32 PM

Because of the extra seams and zippers, a pair of convertibles generally weighs close to the same as a pair of plain pants plus a pair of nylon swim trunks. The advantage of the latter is that if you need to wade, you can go ahead and get them wet yet you still have a pair of dry pants. Or, if the pants get wet, you can wear the swim trunks over your base layer bottoms. (That used to be high fashion for backpackers, and some still do it.) On a recent fishing trip, my grandson kept wading yoo far into the lake, and he was wishing he had swim trunks instead of convertibles!

The ones you'll find at Big 5 or other budget sporting goods stores or at Campmor.com aren't as sturdy as the expensive ones, but they work. I do recommend stitching the crotch seam for reinforcement before you ever wear them. (Don't ask me how I learned this! blush )

As PDA says, your local thrift stores can be a great source for backpacking cothing. So, for that matter, can your closet! Just be sure they aren't cotton!
Posted by: Black Mesa

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 12/12/13 05:48 PM

I bought mine at Bass Pro Shop. I usually have to go to a store to buy clothes. As I am 6'2'', 200#. It is sometimes hard to find the right fit.

But anywho, I have had them for a few years now. And besides some light staining they look pretty much the same as they did when I bought them. Plus they were not to spendy.

Just what has worked for me.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Where to find inexpensive convertible pants? - 12/12/13 10:38 PM

I personally hate convertible pants. It takes way longer to zip and unzip as it does to change. Not to mentioned all the points OM made.