Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag

Posted by: switchback

Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/15/13 09:53 PM

I'll be backpacking in the White Mountains, NH during the last week in July. Temperatures (as far as I can tell) straddle between 55 to 75 degrees. I've done a lot of backpacking, and always use a +20 bag in the summer, which I typically end up sleeping on top of. I'm looking for suggestions for lightweight sleeping gear---anything from sleeping sheets to liners. I'm a short, petite woman so any suggestions tailored for my frame is ideal. Thanks very much!
Posted by: Franco

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/15/13 10:56 PM

I use a Western Mountaineering SummerLite all year around.
by it self in summer (it has a full zip) and with puffy clothing in winter.
it is a somewhat trim fit so should work for you.
There is a link to them onto the left side of this page.
Posted by: mikepetersen

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 05:49 AM

It is better to take Mexican hammocks because the Mexican hammocks are basically made from cotton and it gives a great deal of comfortableness in summer season by sleeping on it.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 06:13 AM

Mine is the Western Mountaineering Mitylite, only because I need the extra 5" of shoulder girth. If I were able to, I'd also have chosen the Summerlite.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 08:45 AM

I'm pulling the trigger on one of these soon: Quilt
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 10:52 AM

My daughter just bought an inexpensive down bag from Coleman that's pretty light. I use an Coleman Fleece bag, it only costs about $20 and it's pretty light too.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 04:23 PM

Nice looking quilt!

I usually use my hoodless Mitylite in quilt mode: it unzips completely to make a blanket, or I can leave it a bit zipped to form a footbox.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/16/13 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
best decision ever! I love Tim's products. I even had him build one for my son, before he made kids quilts. I truly love my quilt, the link didn't show me which one did you decide on the rev x or rev?
Posted by: JPete

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/18/13 08:00 AM

switchback, I use the WM Highlight pretty much three-season. In high summer I wish it had a full zip, but it's light enough that if I keep it open it's not bad. It is rated to 35F but I woke up warm and cozy one morning to find ice in the water bottle I had forgotten to take inside. I did have on all the clothes in my pack. Like others here, I sometimes use my rain gear for sleeping (if it's dry) since it cuts down on perspiration into the down, but it probably also adds a degree or two to the comfort level. The Highlight weighs just a pound and tucks nicely into the bottom of my pack. Seems to take up very little room. best, jcp
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Suggestions on Summertime/Lightweight Sleeping Bag - 07/18/13 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
best decision ever! I love Tim's products. I even had him build one for my son, before he made kids quilts. I truly love my quilt, the link didn't show me which one did you decide on the rev x or rev?

Actually, I'm get the Prodigy X in 30 degree. Can't decide if I want the regular fit or the slim fit. Slim fit should reduce a lot of cold spot and I'm a fairly slim guy. smile