Titanium

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Titanium - 07/14/13 02:26 PM

I've been looking at titanium cook-set, does the handles burn your fingers when you take them off the stove? I've looked at the Snow peak 700ML pot and 450 ML combo and looked at Evernew which has the silicon handles.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 02:58 PM

It can - especially if it has folding handles, and you don't pull them away from the pot.

I've always used a bandanna or small pack towel as a pot holder when I pick up the pot, just to be on the safe side. (Since burns are difficult to treat with a minimal first aid kit, I try to avoid potential burn conditions.)
Posted by: DTape

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 03:59 PM

I concur with Glenn.

I have the Evernew Ti. It is my goto pot when I am solo and just rehydrating my home-dehydrated meals. I eat right out of it. I like the fact it is shorter and wider than most.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 07:06 PM

Burning handles.
How to burn:
keep them together and make sure the flame is wider than the pot.
how NOT to burn:
you figure that out.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 10:33 PM

Titanium is awesome, you want it.

With that out of the way, I've found it's often not necessary to even use the handles, much of the time I can lift the pan by the lip.

With the Evernew insulated handles, figure out how to get them outside the windscreen and all will be fine. Otherwise the insulation will eventually burn off.

Cheers,
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 10:39 PM

Titanium is nice light stuff, but not good if you want to do real cooking (as opposed to boiling water to rehydrate dried meals). It doesn't conduct heat nearly as well as aluminum, so you'll have burned food over the flame and raw food elsewhere. If you're going to cook, consider anodized aluminum instead; it's only a few ounces heavier.

Of course if, like me, you're only boiling water, titanium is a bit lighter. The rim of the pot cools off faster, so I can drink my tea out of it while the tea is still hot.

One of the reasons I take a small multitool is that I can use the pliers as a pot lifter. I need the pliers for other purposes anyway (I don't have a lot of grip in my fingertips), so I have them along regardless.
Posted by: lori

Re: Titanium - 07/14/13 11:36 PM

Those silicon handles can melt if you put the pot on a wide burner stove and the flames lap up the sides.... My favorite pot is the .9 liter Evernew (rebranded REI) and the handle sleeves are kinda torched from all my shenanigans with various stoves over the past few years.