Hye what are the best warm insoles?

Posted by: hikingtothem

Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 06/30/13 09:51 AM

Hello guys im going on a hike soon and of course mountains are cold places so my question is what insoles do you think i should buy? I was gonna go for some sports insoles but there are light weight and meant for running? or could i simply get some sports arch support ones and then just wear loads of socks? whats the best option?

Posted by: Pika

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 06/30/13 10:52 AM

What mountains will you be visiting; it makes a difference in choice of footwear. With that said, for summer hiking in the major mountain ranges of the lower-48, just about any insole should work. Unless you will be on snow, your feet will most likely stay warm in running shoes and added insulation would be superfluous. Dry feet go a lot further towards warm feet than will any insulation.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 06/30/13 06:13 PM

I use wool blend socks, and if it's really cold I use those chemical warmers like "Toastie Toes". I've also cut reflective bubble foil insulation to size and put them in my shoes. Not really sure they helped much though.

My guess is that foam insoles would provide better insulation for the weight than gel insoles, but I could be wrong about that. Good wool socks and Toastie Toes do work though.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 06/30/13 08:18 PM

I was hiking in cold cold winter temps0 to -10 and never needed special insoles. I almost always use wool socks and make sure to have dry extras. I love smart wool, very warm and dry quickly.
Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 06/30/13 10:40 PM

I have never considered an insole as an insulating device. I see them as cushioning and/or support devices.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 07/01/13 09:15 AM

N.M.
Posted by: lori

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 07/01/13 10:00 AM

What do you mean by "cold"?

If you truly mean below freezing, and snow, and potentially below zero, sounds like you might need winter boots.

I've been out in 20 - 32F in three season conditions without extra insulation other than a sock and a trail shoe without issues.

Insoles are to provide support for the foot, not warmth.

Posted by: hikingtothem

Re: Hye what are the best warm insoles? - 07/16/13 06:23 AM

Thanks for all your advise iv been hiking since last posted and what i did was took your advise and got a cheap pair of insoles for hiking some these insoles which got me support but mostly for warmth i got some good thermal socks boots which really made the difference mostly on the cold. LOL glad i asked advise on this forum otherwise id have been freezing smile