Neoair in a hammock?

Posted by: Rick_D

Neoair in a hammock? - 01/31/13 04:13 PM

Has anybody tried a 25-inch wide Neoair in their Hennessy (or similar hammock)? I'm wondering whether it might work better than my usual wide foam pad, which is warm and comfy when it's actually in place but in practice, is a pain to position underneath me and bloody bulky to transport.

FWIW the xlite R-value is 3.2, which should be fine for 3-season use.

TIA!
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 01/31/13 04:45 PM

One night, I used my Big Agnes Insulated pad with a fleece blanket in August at 3,000 feet. I slept amazing. Then in September I thought temperature would get colder at higher elevation, but it only dropped to 42 degrees. I had my quarter zip 15 degree bag (only sleep bag I have) and the insulated pad. I was miserable... I kept getting too hot when I got comfortable, and the shifting was ridiculous. If I use the pad again, I would consider using a quilt.. I know it not the same as a Neoair, I just thought it be similar to my experience using a pad. If you had a dual layer hammock, pad might be a lot more functional. I haven't tried it that way since I'm wanting to make my own single layer hammock with under and top quilts.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/01/13 03:34 PM

I have used my BA insulated in my hammock. It feels the same as a CCF.
Posted by: professor

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/01/13 04:01 PM

I've been using my Neoair (short) in a Warbonnet hammock for summer trips in the Sierras with good success. I use a Mountain Hardware down bag like a quilt. Sometimes there is a spot that the bag and the Neoair miss that gets cold. A quick tuck of the bag solves that. The Neoair has come in handy when I have had to sleep on the ground.

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/01/13 05:13 PM

Appreciate the input, folks!

Anybody else have tales, either positive or otherwise?

Cheers,
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/03/13 03:05 PM

I tried a Stephenson DAM in my Hennessy last summer. I kept feeling as if I were about to fall of of it. Of course, I did NOT, but I felt as if it might happen. The cross tubes instead of length-wise might help.

An Enertia Klymit crumbled up used on top of Hennessy's double-bubble-reflective pad, so I can't recommend it.

A NeoAir is on my list of things to try in a hammock, but mine is the shorter Women's version, not wider and longer as is Rick's.

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/03/13 04:28 PM

Thanks CamperMom!

I should clarify I don't own a wide NeoAir, only pondering getting one for hammock and winter use (not cheap!). I have a standard shorty for three-season ground sleeping, which I love, but it's too dinky to consider for a hammock. But I'm pretty much done with rasslin' a wide foam pad in one--there has to be a better answer that doesn't involve an underquilt.

Cheers,
Originally Posted By CamperMom
I tried a Stephenson DAM in my Hennessy last summer. I kept feeling as if I were about to fall of of it. Of course, I did NOT, but I felt as if it might happen. The cross tubes instead of length-wise might help.

An Enertia Klymit crumbled up used on top of Hennessy's double-bubble-reflective pad, so I can't recommend it.

A NeoAir is on my list of things to try in a hammock, but mine is the shorter Women's version, not wider and longer as is Rick's.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/03/13 04:45 PM

If I was going to use a sleep pad, I'd like to try to make a dual layer hammock: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/diy-guides/hammock/

You can see in one of the pictures where they left a slot for the air pad to slide into. I can imagine that would be easier to sleep on than directly onto the pad where you have to fight it. grin
Posted by: JMB

Re: Neoair in a hammock? - 02/04/13 06:39 AM

I've used my Nemo pad in my Hennessy, but found it best to not fully inflate it. Makes it easier to conform to your body. Haven't tried a double layer hammock yet.