You need a tent...

Posted by: Glenn Roberts

You need a tent... - 01/17/13 07:51 PM

Here's a little theoretical exercise for everyone. Hey, it's January, cold, dreary, we're all bored, and pretty soon we gotta file our tax returns! We need a little fun, and this was about as little as I could dream up. smile

On that pre-Christmas trip, your old tent finally gave up the ghost; the poles bent, the door zipper busted, and the coating peeled off the fly in one big chunk. Luckily, your family has given up trying to buy you gifts, so you've got a few gift certificates to spend. So, you're standing in your favorite outfitter's store, trying to figure out which Big Agnes tent to buy. (You'll be using it by yourself, not sharing it with a partner or dog, for general 3-season camping.) Your choices are:

Model Weight Floor Area Vestibule area Height Door location $
Fly Creek UL1: 1/14 22 sq ft 5.5 sq ft 38" End entry $320
Copper Spur UL1: 2/6 22 sq ft 10.0 sq ft 37" Side entry $350
Slater UL1+: 2/4 28 sq ft 6.0 sq ft 40" End entry $340
Scout UL2: 1/9 34 sq ft None 43" End entry $280
Fishhook UL1: 2/10 22 sq ft 10.0 sq ft 38" Side entry $350

Weights are pounds/ounces. All are one-person tents, except the Scout which is a two-person. All are double-wall tents, except the Scout, which is a single-wall tent that uses your trekking poles as tent poles. The Fishhook introduces new technology in the form of a "zipperless" door. (All of these tents are shown on Big Agnes' website, if you're interested.)

Which tent would you choose, and why?

I thought this little exercise might be useful to new backpackers, giving them a feel for the process that more seasoned folks go through to balance livability, weather resistance, cost, and weight to come to a decision. I didn't choose BA tents for any particular reason other than they have a neat little "Compare" tool on their website, which made it easier to put together a selection.

Have at it!

Added: I apologize for the data display - I tried to make a matrix using spaces, but the submission process evidently deletes extraneous spaces.
Posted by: Pika

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 08:43 PM

Well, since I have been using a Fly Creek for the past three years with complete satisfaction, I will vote for the Fly Creek! I know that it has gotten some negative reviews because of the sloped end entrance and the potential for rain getting in when one leaves or enters the tent. But, in practice it is not much of a problem as long as there is a pee bottle handy. I have weathered several heroic rainstorms in mine and stayed dry. Also, it is light, double-walled and easy to set up. If I were over 6' tall, I might rethink my vote but at 5' 9" tall, it fits me well. I posted a review of the tent on the Trailspace Gear Review website if you are interested.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 09:19 PM

I've never seen the Scout tent, but I go with the Copper Spur. Why? Because of the side entry. In a rain storm it seems it be easier cook food in a side entry vestibule than a rear entry. I tumble over crap all time getting into my Seedhouse. Side entry just seems to be a better door choice.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 09:28 PM

Note: the Seedhouse is a heavier version of the Fly Creek.
Posted by: lori

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 09:58 PM

It would have to be a Copper Spur. I don't touch end entry tents. Getting wet and falling down in the middle of the night trying to lever myself off the group while fitting through the little door, not fun.

A side entry with as vertical an inner wall/mesh as possible, with space in the vestibule for my shoes and kitchen stuff, is my necessity.

It should also be as light a tent as possible. If I have to carry a tent, it has to be lighter than my hammock setup.

All this because I hate tents, and very much prefer the roominess and comfort of a tarp with a hammock strung under it, for maximum livability in all but the worst weather.

I would truthfully answer, if this weren't an exercise, none of the above, because the LightHeart Solo meets my criteria, weighs less than all the tents listed, is weatherproof, and is cheaper.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 09:59 PM

I have the flycreek 2 and it is pretty darn nice, very lite, easy to set up, pretty bomber for the weight. I shed about 8 oz buy using cuben stuff sacks and ti tent stakes.

I'm interested in the scout but have concerns it's going to be a huge wind catch. Plus no vestibule. The local outfitter is suppose to call me when one comes in.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 10:06 PM

Lighteheart solo doesn't have near vertical walls! I can't find the weight of this tent on there website. That being said looks like a pretty cool tent.
Posted by: llamero

Re: You need a tent... - 01/17/13 11:35 PM

***Side door(s)
***Rectangular floor plan, symmetrical at least

I prefer two doors with two small vestibules, but if weight were an issue I would settle for one door. A rectangular floor pattern is a must. My Marmot Swallow is a comfortable 3-4 season tent, but the asymmetrical floor plan drives me nuts when I'm sorting out slightly different length poles and wrestling the rain fly, especially in bad weather and/or low light.
My Sierra Designs Electron may be my all time favorite tent. It weights almost 5.5 pounds, but I don't carry it.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 10:37 AM

I went and look up that Scout tent. Man, that is one cool looking tent. It's like a miniature cabin! My hiking partner has two single wall tents and they both get condensation badly where my Seedhouse didn't have that problem in the same conditions. He since sold one of his single wall tent on eBay and have kept the other one until he gets a new tent. I'd love to test that Scout tent, although.

Edit: Forgot to mention: in one of the pictures on Big Agnes' website, the trek pole not standing on the outside could get knock down by accident. I'd still love to test it. grin
Posted by: finallyME

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 10:43 AM

My method of buying gear is a little more involved. First, I wouldn't buy one while at the store for the first time. I might look and take notes, but I wouldn't make a decision. I would then go home and do a lot of research. I would look at reviews online. I would look at other brands. I would look at other stores or online for better pricing. Only when I have it picked out, would I go to the store and buy. I hate it when I buy something on a whim and later discover that I could have had a better deal. And, spending $300+ on one piece of equipment is a lot and deserves a lot of research.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 11:33 AM

I fully agree - you've got to do your homework. I should have addressed that in the conditions for the exercise: assume that you have done your homework, and have narrowed it down to these five - you're now in the store to see how the real thing compares to the claims made in the research.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 11:42 AM

The problem with that is two of the five are brand new tents, no one will have any experience with these two untill someone sacrifices and buys one and try it for a year or two.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 12:04 PM

I liked the Scout UL2. I like that it uses trekking poles. I also like end entry, but with vertical sides.

2 pounds is a good deal, too.

REI will have it in about March. If I buy through them, there is no risk in buying a new product.

However, I found some more interesting ones from Six Moon Designs.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 12:32 PM

Aha! The consideration of "Do I want to be an early adopter?" No good answer to that one. On the one hand, you have the company's reputation to rely on ("They don't build junk, they have a proven track record of not marketing something until they have the bugs out, and they have a no-questions-asked return policy" - one reason MSR gear sells so well.) On the other hand, if it fails in a snowstorm in February, 2 days away from the trailhead, the reputation doesn't matter and the guarantee isn't any good until (if?) you get home.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 12:36 PM

I have a buddy that has a SMD tent; he really likes it. Like I said, I didn't exclude any other brands from the problem for any reason other than I wanted to hold it to a manageable number, and illustrate the process of making a decision. The particular brand or model is irrelevant - it could just as easily have been 2-person MSR tents, or a mixture of Tarptent, SMD, and Gossamer Gear designs.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 01:12 PM

Wow, that Scout looks like something straight from the '70s. Attractive weight but I'll caution on the 12 stakes for anybody who heads into alpine country. I'm also skeptical of its ability to shed wind and snow.

Cheers,

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 02:07 PM

Where and when - additional good considerations. It demonstrates that "general 3-season backpacking" isn't always enough information to make a decision. If you're only hiking in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, there's not enough variation from season to season and locale to locale to make any difference. Other places, specific locations and seasons can vary significantly.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Lighteheart solo doesn't have near vertical walls! I can't find the weight of this tent on there website. That being said looks like a pretty cool tent.

What it has is enough vestibule space. And I can stand up in sock feet while still standing inside the tent, then put one foot in a shoe, then the other... I never have to take my shoes inside the tent to put them on, or get all the way out either. There is enough slope to make this possible but enough coverage to make entry somewhat less ridiculous a proposition in the rain. And the side entry makes it easier to get in and out of, as instead of crawling I can stand up while my feet are still inside.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 05:49 PM

Do you have the weight for the solo? Thanks!

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 06:37 PM

Depends on the stakes you use and whether you need the optional poles. With four Y stakes and four titanium hooks, mine comes to 28 oz.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 06:45 PM

Thanks Lori!

Wilson's just called and said they just got two scouts in if I wanted to check them out. 5 mins later they called back and said both had sold!!
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: You need a tent... - 01/18/13 11:35 PM

Rarely is one going to be considering five tent models from the same brand/manufacturer. When I am looking for a new tent, I do research on all brands. Reputations and quality change over time so a brand thought of as poor 10 years ago may be better. More commonly I find that companies sometimes ride on their reputation without keeping up the quality or innovation. My "short list" is developed from eliminating tents based on 1) weight, 2) price, 3) weather-worthiness, 4) features. Reality is that price matters for me. There are some really good tents out there but I am not going to pay $500. And my upper weight limit for a 3-season solo tent is 3 pounds. Only weather -worthy tents get picked. Most features are optional. I prefer side door, but would get a front door if it was considerably lighter, cheaper and more weather worthy. PS weight HAS to include all set up gear - stakes, tent strings, etc. I tend to use my trekking poles when I have the tent set up, so am willing to carry weight of poles.

I would never buy a tent without setting it up, getting inside, taking it down. I am lucky in that it is an hour drive from my house to Henry Shires house so I could actually go up to his place and try out several of his models before buying.

Be wary of "reviews". I swear some bad reviews are put in there by competitors. No review is worth anything to me unless the person has really used the tent in all kinds of bad weather conditions. I really liked one review that stated his tent lasted through a hurricane!
Posted by: Franco

Re: You need a tent... - 01/19/13 03:34 PM

"be wary of "reviews"
All too often people think they are doing others a service by commenting on things they do not know nor understand.
With tents I have seen comments from folk that clearly had not even seen a picture of the item they felt compelled to comment about.
Just yesterday I was reading comments about a new "Kodak" camera .
All there was to go by was a single photo of this new camera, yet most decided that it was fair enough to rubbish it , all based on a single photo...
(the camera looks like many others of its ilk...)

Re: You need a tent... - 01/19/13 05:05 PM

I got a call that one of the scouts was purchased by an employee and if I want to check it out I could. So I called and went down and set it up. First it sets up easy. Second it has a ton of room, vertical walls with well thought out mesh pockets. You could have two spend a stormy day or two, play cards sitting upright and not be nose to nose. My big concerns still are wind resistance. If the wind would shift or come up on the flat side of the tent it could be a problem. Next is possibility of condensation, tough to determine until tested. Lastly no vestibul. You could rig you rain jacket on the non door side off the poll and cover any gear that's not in the tent.

Overall I came away impressed. I would consider it for sure.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/19/13 08:02 PM

As I said early on, I only chose 5 from the same manufacturer because it was the easy way out. However, I can think of one time you might actually do this: in the research stage, when you would go to the manufacturer's website (and the reviews at vendors and backpackgeartest) to see which, if any, of their tents you might want. You'd then end up with, say, one finalist from MSR, one from BA, one from Tarptent, etc.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/19/13 08:57 PM

There is always a possibility of condensation, depending on conditions and weather. Even if you use a tarp.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/20/13 09:47 PM

So, what's my own answer to the little puzzle?

Well, before going to the store, I would have prioritized my own needs. That starts with understanding my trips: I backpack in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, which means mild winters with mostly light snow, if any (and I tend to stay home if there is heavy snow or temperatures below 15 degrees.) In summer, temperatures and humidity are often in the mid-80's. Mostly, I do weekend trips, and tend to cancel trips if it calls for steady rain all weekend (still got my "I Can Camp in the Rain" T-shirt.) I don't do high mileage, and while my style is mostly minimalist, I don't equate that with uncomfortable. I'm in my early 60's and not as nimble as I was once, but no particular infirmities. I rarely - lately, never - share a tent with a hiking partner.

So, what am I looking for in a tent? In order, I want:
1. A small footprint, so I can tuck into smaller, more secluded spots.
2. Great ventilation. Since I'm only occasionally in the rain, or in foul winter weather, I often use the tent without the fly. That lets me take advantage of every breeze, and minimizes the tendency of an enclosed tent to overheat.
3. Light weight.
4. A side opening - like I said, I'm not as nimble as I once was, so I want to get in and out easily.
5. Plenty of head and shoulder room
6. Freestanding. Occasionally, I want to pitch it on an open ledge for the view. But mostly, I tend to find that they are somewhat sturdier in a strong wind than a tent that isn't freestanding - and I do sometimes find myself camped in the open in a windy situation.
7. Proven reliability. While I don't distrust new technology, I tend not to be a first adopter.
8. Price. My mortgage and the kids' college are all paid, and I don't smoke, drink, chase women, or own a boat. While I'm a long way from "money is no object," I am able to indulge myself in good gear. All of these tents are within my price range.

So, let's look at each candidate:

Fly Creek: This passes the first three criteria quite well. However, the end opening is problematic: I'd have to do the sit-and-spin routine to get in and out, and it would probably have to be done in and around any gear stored in the tent. Also, given the shape of the tent, there isn't a great deal of head and shoulder room. It's also not freestanding (A buddy and I both went through a 40 mph night recently; he was in a Fly Creek that had a great deal of deflection. Another friend, in a freestanding Copper Spur, had no such issues.) However, the tent seems to be a proven performer - and despite the deflection, my buddy's tent never threatened to collapse. This would be a definite contender.

Copper Spur: Great ventilation, compact footprint. The freestanding feature not only gives it a great deal of stability (see above), and also create a lot of interior volume. It's not particularly light, but not prohibitively heavy ("early 60's" means I remember when 5 pound tents were considered lightweight.) Nothing particularly cutting-edge about it, but a solid performer. Also a definite contender.

Slater: This appears to be a similar tent to the Fly Creek, except that it has a lot less mesh, and more length and volume. The price paid is some extra weight. It looks like it might be a good choice for die-hard winter campers, or for taller folks - but I'm neither. I'd probably pass on this one.

Scout: Definitely light weight, but the limited ventilation and the inability to pitch it without a fly give me concerns about it overheating in hot weather. (I had some experience with a Tarptent doing this in the hot, humid Ohio valley.) The footprint is large, and the large flat ends and walls raise concerns about stability in the wind. Definitely a livable tent, with lots of interior space. All in all, this would be a definite contender if I hiked anywhere but the hot humid eastern US. But, since I don't, I'd probably rule this one out.

Fishhook: This appears to be a near-clone of the Copper Spur, except that it has a "zipperless" door - a new technology that isn't well explained on the website. This would be a contender.

So, now what? I'd ask the staff at the store to set up the Fly Creek, Copper Spur, and Fishhook (side by side, if possible), and I'd start climbing in and out of them. Having actually done this, I chose the Copper Spur because of the side opening; the Fly Creek is just too awkward for me to get in and out of. (If the Fishhook had been available, the decision might have hinged on how "zipperless" works.

I hope this gave you some insight into how to narrow down choices when you're faced with an overwhelming selection of gear. You probably won't be choosing from a single brand, but the general principles apply: define your needs, prioritize them, and then evaluate the finalists based on what you, not someone else, needs.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 03:24 AM

The important part is to find a product (not a brand...) that works for you.
For example in my case I would never choose a tent that sets up inner first and then "rain fly" on top and for exactly the opposite reason to yours. I often have to set up/take down the tent in the rain.
Secondly , to me, a tent that needs a very minimum of six stakes but more realistically 10-13 to stand up taut isn't a freestanding tent, so I might as well bypass terminology and just pick a tent that can stand up correctly with 4 or 6...
So my advice is to focus on the product not a brand name.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 09:42 AM

I fully agree about brand names; again, the only reason I chose all the examples from the Big Agnes line was that their "compare" feature made it real easy to pick 5 tents with various combinations of features, print out the statistics, and then type up the problem (I don't do well flipping from one window to another - as I said elsewhere, I'm old.) There was absolutely no intention to imply a brand preference.

I like the way you indicated how your choice would differ from mine: your needs ("I often have to set up/take down the tent in the rain.") are different from mine.

I also like your definition of freestanding; in the example I gave, two take a minimum of 4 stakes, are workable with 6, and use 8 for an optimal setup; the rest take more than 8 to set up properly.

The last full-blown, real-life selection process I went through (2 years ago) had me selecting between the MSR Carbon Reflex, the Tarptent Rainbow (which I consider freestanding because the ability to incorporate the poles is intentionally designed into it), the MSR Hubba, and the Copper Spur UL1. I eliminated the Copper Spur because of weight and (in that year's model) a rather clumsily-designed side entrance. The Tarptent Rainbow was actually my first purchase, but it heated up too much (which is a result of Ohio weather, not any design problem with the tent.) I replaced it with the Carbon Reflex, choosing it over the Hubba based solely on weight. (I mildly regretted that decision one night on the side of Mt. Rogers, in the open, with 30 mph winds.) The Carbon Reflex did everything I wanted it to do, but eventually I decided it just didn't have enough livability (shoulder room), and began looking again. The Hubba wasn't a candidate because it was a Carbon Reflex clone with a different frame. I ended up revisting the Copper Spur (because a design change made entering and leaving the tent more straightforward), but took a look at the Fly Creek only because it was so much lighter.

One important point: any of those tents would work. They are all well-made, highly functional tents. In the end, the decision was not quality related, but only related to convenience and comfort in MY hands. And I might be a whole lot more finicky than the next guy, which means I might over-think the whole thing.

Perhaps the last take-away from my own real-life selection process is: no matter how hard you try, you probably won't get it right the first time. smile

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 10:13 AM

I'm going through a similar selection process because I want a new tent. I can't buy the tent today, but it's fun to decide on which one I'd like to have in the future. grin I feel like I'm settled on getting a Tarptent, but I don't know which one. It been a two horse race between the Notch and Moment. I like the Notch for its dual side entries and it looks like a better tent to vent. The feature where you can set up the rain fly and attach the bug net on inside during a rain is cool. The Moment cannot get wet on the inside during set up, least the way he set it up in the video on his website made it appear that way.

However, I'm fairly certain I will be using my hammock in the warmer months. I need a tent for places like Southwest Virgina and Roan Highland where there are bald ridges to camp on. I will likely use the tent for winter more than the hammock, so potential snow needs to be taking into consideration. This is where the Moment shines. Having an extra crossing pole increase snow loading capabilities and stability in event of high wind on bald mountains, theoretically.

I really don't want to spend over $300 for a non-mountaineering tent. Especially since the tent will be splitting time with the hammock and only getting used for certain weather conditions. I just don't know about using my hammock at high elevation where site selections can be limited. I get that feeling the wind will take my tarp off like a sail...Oh, well.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 03:12 PM

Glenn
"The Tarptent Rainbow was actually my first purchase, but it heated up too much'
Can't remember what tent I was seam sealing the other day in the sun (possibly a Double Rainbow...) but it definitely was warmer inside than out.
For some reason I don't think that I have tested the "liner" for sun protection but I know that the white fabric works for that in the Scarps .
I must test this soon, before summer is over...
Anyway Glenn, as a tip I would suggest you don't buy a Cuben shelter then...

ETSU Pride
Every TT shelter sets up dry. That is, you always set up the "rain fly" by itself or with the inner attached as it is the case with the Notch.
That is the advantage for example of the "duo mid" Strato Spire 1 and 2 over the other mids/duomids.
You set the fly and inner up at the same time (and no pole in the middle...)

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By Franco
Glenn
"The Tarptent Rainbow was actually my first purchase, but it heated up too much'
Can't remember what tent I was seam sealing the other day in the sun (possibly a Double Rainbow...) but it definitely was warmer inside than out.
For some reason I don't think that I have tested the "liner" for sun protection but I know that the white fabric works for that in the Scarps .
I must test this soon, before summer is over...
Anyway Glenn, as a tip I would suggest you don't buy a Cuben shelter then...

ETSU Pride
Every TT shelter sets up dry. That is, you always set up the "rain fly" by itself or with the inner attached as it is the case with the Notch.
That is the advantage for example of the "duo mid" Strato Spire 1 and 2 over the other mids/duomids.
You set the fly and inner up at the same time (and no pole in the middle...)

Does the Moment not have a dual side doors?

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 03:49 PM

No it doesn't, it is an "hybrid"(like the Rainbow) so a fly with a mesh wall/door.
But things can change.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 04:19 PM

One last question about the Moment: does it really only has two stakes? It shows two stakes in his spec, but in the video it shows an extra guy line on the door by the pole loop. It seems like the perception of this tent with lack of stakes and anchor points, it would be get blown around during a good breeze... Which is not the case at all, right? I'm torn between Notch and the Moment as a future expenditure. Ha!

Edit: I believe this video answered my questions. It comes with two stakes, but there is options to add extra guy lines?

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 04:31 PM

The standard fair weather set up for the Moment is with those two stakes.
The reason why it works like that is the Pitch Lock corner.(end triangle)
That pyramid shaped end gives support to the fabric and adds leverage so that you can have the shelter nice and taut.
In windy condition you should add the guylines to the main pole. That will give lateral stability and with those you have tension from the four sides.
In practice I set up the tent with the two stakes so that if I change my mind I can turn it sideways or move it very quickly, then once I am happy with the location I always have those guylines in place.
I use both the Moment and the Notch and still not sure which one I like best particularly because I always use trekking poles.
(so for me the Notch is smaller and lighter)

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 04:47 PM

Thanks. That rest my mind on the wind, but now I wonder about condensation, if those vents are big enough... Ha! Okay, I'm done with questions and such for now. When I'm ready pull the trigger I'll revisit everything.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 04:48 PM

For some reason, cuben doesn't excite me in the least. Maybe I'm getting even older than I thought! smile

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 04:50 PM

Don't be "torn" - get them both! (It takes a village to raise a child, but somewhere along the line, our little forum village seems to have failed with you. smile )

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 06:16 PM

Haha! I come to realized some time back that all backpacking gears has tradeoffs in comparison to similar products. It just a matter of what tradeoffs you can live without.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 11:11 PM

I have used the Moment for three years now. The one door is a real disadvantage with ventilation- the Moment has a serious condensation problem that could easily be solved with 2 doors. I have never set the tent up with 2 stakes only! That is asking for a midnight "get out of the tent and re-set". Yeh, it looks OK when set up with 2 stakes, but I always back up each end stake - either with another stake of a huge rock. I carry 6 stakes and with those and adding rocks I can set up bombproof in any site. I have also added tent strings. I broke the stake that came with the tent the first week. I would invest in some better stakes. I had left-over stakes from my MSR that worked better. The 2-stake setup with the stakes that come with the tent may work of you always have flat, grass or deep soft dirt sites. I end up on a lot of really rocky stuff and seldom can get a stake fully into the ground before it stops on a big flat rock under the surface.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/21/13 11:50 PM

Stakes are the often the first thing folk like to grumble about but really there is no perfect for every terrain solution.
(see reviews at BackPackGearTests for that)
If nothing else with TT they are included in the price.
As much as many like the Y types, others don't because they either cut themselves pulling them out or step on them or get annoyed because the collect dirt.
And that is why there are so many types available.
I always have two or three types of stakes with me and often do use rocks/branches /sand bags to help the stake to hold.
Personally I like the 8" Easton but also use Ti nail stakes, Y stakes and thin Ti shepherds hook type and snow stakes in winter...
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: You need a tent... - 01/22/13 10:07 AM

Franco said:
Quote:
"Personally I like the 8" Easton but also use Ti nail stakes, Y stakes and thin Ti shepherds hook type and snow stakes in winter..."

Interesting to me to see a list of four stake types that doesn't include my favorite: MSR Needle stakes. Pretty light yet pretty strong, I can sort of interlock sets of four or six so that there are just no sharp edges or points when packing them into a very space-efficient bundle, and they have decent holding power. In a great deal of use, I've only ever bent one, and it took quite a bit to do it.

Easton's are hollow, and too often it seems that I hit a rock, forget what stake type I'm using and pound a bit too much and crunch the stake. Y stakes indeed tend to rip up me or my gear, or both. I've little experience with nail stakes, but wonder what kind of holding power they have relative to the weight. I've used the thin shepherd stakes and carry them on occasion but am not impressed with holding power.

For me, at least, the MSRs are a good balance of factors for general use. If the MSR won't hold it alone, time to get a rock or a log or ad hoc deadman involved.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/22/13 10:32 AM

DAC v stakes work very well and are tough as nails. I also like the msr stakes and use them with my tarp set-up.

I took another look at the scout, I really like this tent, packs small and weighs under 2 lbs. I ordered a MLD duo mid so I must resist, must resist!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: You need a tent... - 01/22/13 12:53 PM

Typicallly, I uas a combination of Eastons and Ti shepards hook. Depending on the shelter, I try to place the Eastons where the most holding power is needed, then use the Tis for other guylines and floor anchors. My choice does vary, depending on where I'm headed and which shelter I'm toting.

I used to think the MSR needle stakes were unbendable, then I bent several on one trip (luckily, none broke). Live and learn.

Cheers,
Posted by: Claus

Re: You need a tent... - 01/23/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I have never set the tent up with 2 stakes only!
LOL I never used more than two stakes with the moment and am wondering why I bother to take four MRS GroundHogs along. The extra string guyline comes in handy with soft or hard ground. If possible align the tent with the wind. BTW the non vestibule side can be raised and lowered to adjust the ventilation. It's just a pain since you'll have to do it outside.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/23/13 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By Claus
LOL I never used more than two stakes with the moment and am wondering why I bother to take four MRS GroundHogs along. The extra string guyline comes in handy with soft or hard ground. If possible align the tent with the wind. BTW the non vestibule side can be raised and lowered to adjust the ventilation. It's just a pain since you'll have to do it outside.

just wait for that windy day....

Don't say we didn't warn you.

All it takes is an afternoon in a coastal campground watching 20 lb cheap tents full of 200 lbs of chairs and cheap sleeping bags rolling around to love your tent stakes. Or watch one of those youtube videos from bonnaroo. Just punch in flying tent. It's a hoot.

I read a forum post many moons ago - a plaintive "has anyone seen my tent go by?" He told the story of guying out his tent eight ways from Sunday, all staked down, and then a freak gust tore it off the ridge and he watched it sailing across the canyon and out of sight.... Makes you really study up on tent site selection and guy that $200 tent out good.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/23/13 04:01 PM

In strong winds the Moment (same as with other single hoop tents) will wobble with tail wind and bend inwards heavily with side winds.
This is the reason for using guylines.
More relevant if you camp in the open and particularly at altitude.

Re: You need a tent... - 01/24/13 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Claus

just wait for that windy day....

Don't say we didn't warn you.

All it takes is an afternoon in a coastal campground watching 20 lb cheap tents full of 200 lbs of chairs and cheap sleeping bags rolling around to love your tent stakes. Or watch one of those youtube videos from bonnaroo. Just punch in flying tent. It's a hoot.

I went to YouTube and ended up watching some Avett Brothers when they played at Bonnaroo. grin

Re: You need a tent... - 02/03/13 12:50 PM

I make a point of taking some thiner straight pegs and some of the three-flanged stakes. In hard ground the straight pegs go in better; on soft ground the flanged ones hold better. I also camp where there usually are lots of big rocks so having enough string to tie around a big rock is helpful. With the extra tent string, I do not take "emergency" cord. If my shoelace breaks I just cut off some tent cord. In the big scheme of things, the weight of a few extra tent pegs is insignificant. Make up the extra weight by giving up an ounce of food or carry one tablespoon less water.

By the way, I just got back from 2 nights at Point Reyes National Seashore. I had my Moment set up on dirt, door wide open, and it rained inside the tent both nights, with the outside of the tent dry. Yes, there is a condensation problem with the Moment. Other Tarptent models do better for condtions where you have 100% humidity. I am not down on Tarptent, just be aware that the Moment does have some design flaws with regard to humid conditions.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: You need a tent... - 02/03/13 02:43 PM

Lori, was that the same post I remember reading in which the poster had just removed his small child from the tent before it went sailing away? Scary!
Posted by: JMB

Re: You need a tent... - 02/04/13 06:40 AM

Copper Spur - Weight + Side Entry. I never particularly liked front entry. Always found it awkward for me.
Posted by: djtrekker

Re: You need a tent... - 02/06/13 10:40 PM

Well, my requirement is for weather-proof and water proof. beyond that, I'm an REI aficionado, so I biased. I like their line of 2-man tents, the half-dome gets it for me, but it's not a lightweight....no biggy for me.
On tents, my needs are spelled out thusly:
1 - room (2 person generally, but I need room to put in my pack and gear); 2 - durability, I don't like to have to constantly repair a tent for leaks; 3 - wind durability; 4 - ease of setup.
Just my thoughts.....notice that weight was not a factor. That is not entirely true, but anything in the 4 pound range for a solo or couples tent is fine by me. You will find that many of the light persuasion go for much lighter.