Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60

Posted by: Pika

Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60 - 01/11/13 10:44 AM

I am thinking about a new pack and am comparing the ULA Circuit with the Granite Gear Crown VC-60. I can't find any info on the GG web site, nor in any online reviews about whether a large bear can (BV-500) will fit horizontally into the pack. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
Posted by: Gaucho

Re: Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60 - 01/11/13 10:52 AM

Pika,
Through my experience, it's almost impossible to fit the BV horizontally. I think I was successful once. Definitely pushed my crown to the limit, was comfortable at 30lbs. Anything over 30 began to cramp my style. Stacking the BV vertically, was not a problem for me. I managed to fit all my gear without a problem.

Re: Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60 - 01/11/13 01:30 PM

Ah, one more thing I forgot to mention...the only gripe I´ve heard about the Crown is its length between the shoulder straps, they are a bit narrow than usual. If you have broad shoulders this could pose a problem, the straps seem to rub on the neck.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60 - 01/12/13 01:46 PM

That's another example why it's a good idea to try any pack with all your gear, including a bear canister, before making the decision to keep it. Also, even for those (like me) who normally don't use a canister, you never know when you might visit an area that requires one. Also, more jurisdictions are requiring canisters every year, so you also never know when your favorite area close to home may start requiring one!

[I know that Pika knows this, but I mention it for the benefit of the less-experienced who may read this!]

Re: Bear Canister in GG Crown VCR 60 - 01/15/13 11:56 PM

OM,
Good call on that clarification. I've owned the Crown for a season and have beaten it up quite a bit. Got a sweet deal when I purchased the pack, and knew that at 60L, I was going to fit a bear can in somehow. I believe you can fit a Garcia sideways in it if my memory serves me. At the moment, my gear allows for a comfortable vertical stack with a Bear Vault. I'm happy with the Crown. smile