NeoAir versus trail scout

Posted by: Ken S

NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 09:26 AM

So I recently tried a new thermarest neoair to replace my thermarest trail scout short. Used in 34 degree temperatures in a marmot bivy and montbell 30 degree bag. While it was more comftorable,not by a giant amount mind you it was colder than the trail scout, by quite a bit. So I'm back to my trusty trail scout.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 10:29 AM

Not questioning your decision (I've wrestled myself with whether inflating the more comfortable NeoAir was worth the additional hassle over the self-inflating Thermarests), but I am curious.

Which NeoAir were you using? There are numerous NeoAirs out there, from the original and XLite series (with an R-factor of 3) to the All Season and XTherm series (R-factor of 5 or 5.7). I've found the same problem of being cold when I used the lower R-value series, but the All Season and XTherm series are toasty warm here in the Ohio Valley in temperatures down to about 20 (the coldest I've had them in so far.)

For comparative purposes, your Trail Scout is an R-value of almost 4, which would be a good bit warmer than the XLite, but somewhat less warm than the AllSeason, and significantly less warm than the XTherm. Of course, the extra value is only useful in cold conditions. If the lowest temperatures you ever camp in are 40's, the extra R-value of the warmer NeoAirs wouldn't be meaningful. Like so much else, you choose the gear to fit the conditions. (By the way, I used the Trail Scout once; it was a pretty functional, decent pad.)

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 10:37 AM

it was an xlite. It has since been returned. I may still try one of the neo air therms and compare.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 03:57 PM

I've used a short, original NeoAir with a 15 degree WM bag in single digits on dry sand/decomposed granite and been fine. Two nights in a row, was not my plan, but I know it will work now.
Duane

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 04:27 PM

While it was serviceable for me, it was just not the same level of warmth I was used to. Sometimes I'll use an old blue and the trail scout, but the trail scout is more patch than original material. Just trying to find that setup thats just right for me.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 07:20 PM

I'm in the market for a new mattress and so thanks for the idea of a trail scout. I was not familiar with it. At under a pound it is lighter than my very old Thermorest and Campmore has the small (20x47) for under 40 bucks.
Posted by: BradMT

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 10/31/12 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By Ken S
So I recently tried a new thermarest neoair to replace my thermarest trail scout short. Used in 34 degree temperatures in a marmot bivy and montbell 30 degree bag. While it was more comftorable,not by a giant amount mind you it was colder than the trail scout, by quite a bit. So I'm back to my trusty trail scout.

I've used a variety of Thermarest Pads since the 1980's... for me, I find the Neoair (original in lime green) to be the most comfortable pad on the planet. I use a 1/4" Evazote pad on top so warmth is not an issue.

I ditched my Prolite 4 and won't be going back.
Posted by: rionada

Re: NeoAir versus trail scout - 11/02/12 03:35 PM

I'm with BradMT and others. I find blow up pads, like the Neoair, to be very comfortable. And, like you, I find that they don't hold much warmth.

I have used various insulating pads on top of the Neoair, but finally settled on a sleeve that I made out of Evazote by taping two pieces together.

I have slept on ice and snow with this set up and stayed warm. Also, the Evozote sleeve by itself is great for sitting around the fire (something that you can't do with a blow up pad).