Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp

Posted by: Ken S

Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 11:40 AM

I'm looking for alternatives to an expensive silnylon tarp. I found a tent footprint for the kelty villa 4 that is 90 x 90, roughly square, symmetrical, weighs 16ozs with mesh bag, new for 15 dollars shipping included online. Any pros or cons to this, and whats a similar sized silnylon tarp weigh for comparison?
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 12:14 PM

Go to the Backcountry Gear website and search "tarp." You'll get a wide variety of flat tarps, shaped tarps, poncho/tarps, and materials you can compare - including sale prices on a few of them.

Generally, you'll get what you pay for. One thing to be aware of is that a groundcloth typically will not have grommets or tie-downs along the edges to which you can attach guy lines. You can add these (though they may easily rip out if not reinforced), or improvise attachments using small rounded rocks, but it's a lot less conveninet.

If I were to go back to a tarp, it would probably be the MSR Twing (or a similar shaped tarp with one closed end, like the Integral Designs SilShelter); however, if I wanted a "flat" tarp, my choice would be the Granite Gear White Lightnin' (which is currently on sale at Backcountry Gear.)

So why don't I use a tarp? Because solo tents have become widely available, and weigh the same or less (remember, tarp camping also requires a groundcloth.) The tents are just more convenient and weatherproof for less weight, so I'm willing to spend the extra money for a tent. I tarp-camped for a lot of years, when solo tents weren't available and two person tents weighed six pounds, and found it delightful (except for the bugs), so I'm not trying to discourage you - but just be aware that this is one area where it may pay to spend more.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 12:47 PM

I'm using this tarp. For the weight, quality, and price in comparison to other high end silnylon tarps you cannot beat it. I haven't seam seal this tarp and it still hasn't sprung a leak...
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 06:43 PM

you often find footprints of discontinued tents at a lower price than you can but the raw material for.
The reason is because for a shop that is dead money ..
However a foot print is designed to work as that not as a tarp.
Apart from the cut the tie outs may not be strong enough to cope with wind the material also may not be all that waterproof when kinetic force is applied.
(that is wind blown rain or just large drops)
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 11:10 PM

My wife and I run a campground and we get tents busted up from wind. I've used the tent floors as tarps, the wall deviders as ground cloths, polls as plastic holders for my garden, trying to figure more stuff to use these things for. Mostly if it's usable it gets donated to someone.
Posted by: Hermes (Nick G)

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/29/12 11:56 PM

I'm under the impression its fairly simple to make a tarp on your own, with much less than 16 oz of weight! Campmor sells all sorts of cheap tarps as well, including a 6x8 9 oz silnylon for $70, or check out cheaper heavier tarps: http://www.campmor.com/gear/tents/tarps.shtml

One thing you might think about, if you know you'll be comfortable under a small tarp, is a poncho tarp.

I have a Sea to Summit Poncho nylon tarp that weighs 13 oz, but it's cheap ($30) and serves as both raingear and a shelter. That's about a 16-17 oz shelter system for $40 in relation to a 20 oz tent for $400, not counting the multi-purpose aspect.

I'm going to be getting rid of this poncho tarp in favor of the Golite Silnylon equivalent, which is 7 oz and $60.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/30/12 01:45 AM

If you have a nice, new tent and you would like to protect the floor and be able to fast and light pitch so to speak buy the foot print! You you will prob be happy u did! And if you ever desire to sell having it only helps! I have four nice tents and three nice foot prints and contemplating buying the fourth! think about it.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/30/12 03:45 AM

How about reading the OP's question before you post your thoughts...
Posted by: Ken S

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 10/30/12 08:19 AM

I picked up the footprint, 81 square feet for 16 ozs with tieouts, can always find a use. This will be for two people, so we'll give it a try for a while until we can find a good deal on a sylnylon setup. I checked out the twing and that looks like a nice setup. Thanks for everyones input.
Posted by: JMB

Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp - 02/04/13 06:53 AM

I'm one for using a normal backpacking tarp. They are designed specifically for that function. If you do go with a footprint, you will probably want to mod it to meet your needs.