Osprey Hornet 46

Posted by: rockchucker22

Osprey Hornet 46 - 10/18/12 07:05 PM

We have a gear exchange here and I stop by on occasion, today I was looking around when what looks to be pretty much new, osprey hornet 46. It may have been used on one trip. 50$ I just couldn't pass it up. Very light weight,1.6 lbs and has a removable top pouch. I doubt it could handle much more than 30lbs total carry weight, but who wants to carry that much any way?

Any one have any experience with this pack?

Re: Osprey Hornet 36 - 10/19/12 08:40 PM

What, no one ?? Surprising I figured this would be a popular pack.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Osprey Hornet 36 - 10/19/12 09:38 PM

I don't have any experience hiking with it. I saw it at the local outfitters, and it looked like it might work with my light load (about 16 pounds, in the summer, including food and water, but not including the pack.) So, I took my gear into the store and packed it into the pack (I forget which size - is there a 40 or 45 liter size?)

I put it on, and walked around the store for about 5 minutes. Horribly uncomfortable: to keep the hipbelt supportive, I had to cinch it painfully tight. Even then, I couldn't get the weight off my shoulders; the shoulder straps were simply too flimsy. I put it back on the shelf as fast as I could.

It might make a good day pack, carrying around 10 pounds. It's not a good backpacking pack, at least not for the loads I carry.

That oughta get the arguments started!

Re: Osprey Hornet 36 - 10/19/12 10:28 PM

Thanks Glenn! I was concerned about the straps they are 2" max and have very little padding. I put 18 lbs and a large jacket and it felt fine but only miles will tell. I do a lot of 1 night primitive camping and it seems to be robust enough for that. Seems it would be easy to add some 1/8 ccf pad to critical areas of the straps.... Maybe! thanks

Re: Osprey Hornet 36 - 10/19/12 11:44 PM

19 oz without lid and pad!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Osprey Hornet 46 - 10/20/12 02:46 AM

Ah, the H46 (assume 36 was a typo). I've used it and it needs to fit perfectly in back length, because it's not adjustable. As you surmise, moderate loads only but up to the mid-30s [edit--meant to say the mid-20s because 30# is too much for the hipbelt, which sags] the large (medium in the real world) is very comfy. And yes, it's very light.

Provided it fits, it's a good, smallish pack for 2, 3-day trips.

Cheers,

Re: Osprey Hornet 46 - 10/20/12 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Ah, the H46 (assume 36 was a typo). I've used it and it needs to fit perfectly in back length, because it's not adjustable. As you surmise, moderate loads only but up to the mid-30s the large (medium in the real world) is very comfy. And yes, it's very light.

Provided it fits, it's a good, smallish pack for 2, 3-day trips.

Cheers,
Yep typo! What I get for posting from my phone. 2-3 day trips are exactly what I had in mind. Luckily I have a fairly average sized torso so it seems to fit fine, I'll load it up and do a few day hikes and report back.