Tarp tent without hiking poles

Posted by: DieselTwitch

Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 10:43 AM

Im looking at getting the contrail from tarptent. However, I don't hike with poles... Any ideas on how to get around this. I was thinking of making some type of adjustable pole using tent poles but can't find any sort of adjuster that would work.

Ideas?
Posted by: JPete

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 02:06 PM

DieselTwitch,

I'm almost certain Henry sells a set of lightweight poles for that tent. Check the website for Tarptent (it's advertised on this board just above), or wait a bit and Henry may answer you himself, He was on the other day. I believe Franco will know, and he should be around shortly.

Best, jcp
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 06:56 PM

I just had breakfast so here I am doing the forum rounds to see if there is anything new...
Yes TT sells "substitute" poles , the one for the Contrail is $6 , about 2 oz.9under "extras")
Not my cup of tea because it is a fixed length and not as strong as a trekking pole but it is light and cheap.
Easy to add strength to it by strapping a stick on it.
Franco

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 08:02 PM

Cool.

Has one had poles made from Easton? I notice they don't have prices... normally a sign of extremely expensive
Posted by: JPete

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 08:45 PM

DieselTwitch,

Never actually had poles made there, but asked them for a quote to replace fibre poles on my granddaughter's tent (they were coming apart). They weren't cheap, but I thought their price was reasonable. Didn't get them because while I was getting the quote, she poked a very serious hole in the tent (and I couldn't fix it well enough).
Posted by: lori

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 08:49 PM

I bought some from Henry with a Tarptent. They were not expensive, and they were (I believe) Easton.

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/09/12 09:26 PM

Yes the TT ones are Easton.
Maybe the $6 bit was missed...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/10/12 10:31 PM

If you want carbon fiber poles instead, you can check out Ruta Locura (a branch-off from Titanium Goat). Of course they will be more expensive and, again, fixed length.

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/10/12 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By Franco
Yes the TT ones are Easton.
Maybe the $6 bit was missed...

No just didn't know TT = Easton's

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/10/12 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If you want carbon fiber poles instead, you can check out Ruta Locura (a branch-off from Titanium Goat). Of course they will be more expensive and, again, fixed length.

How vital is having an adjustable pole in these tents? Does it effect the slack in the tent or just the shape. Can the space be totally pulled out during setup? I hate a sloppy tent lol smile

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/11/12 12:47 AM

I was having a look at those Ruta Locura poles (good suggestion...) the smaller type is 11.5 mm compared with 8.5mm from TT.
That is a substantial difference, however because of the cost of the CF and the fact that the TT are so cheap and if you buy them with the tent no extra postage (or close enough if...) I would still get the Easton.
They have been sold for many years and many are happy with them, I don't really like them but I do put the tents under a lot of tension, not necessary at all in most situations.
I have noticed that Josh at Ruta Locura has an adjuster (8") but only for the bigger size.
The adjustment is not necessary but helps sometime when you want to pitch high or low.
Franco
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/11/12 01:29 PM

I use a rock for last little bit of tensioning.
Duane

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/11/12 06:38 PM

yes you can improvise, a boot can work too..

Re: Tarp tent without hiking poles - 09/18/12 03:41 AM

Just as a bit of general info, Josh at Ruta Locura tells me that he also has a .450 pole adjuster.
That is so that you can vary the pole length up and down (I suppose) 8"
Now that this is not a secret any longer, pass it on..
Franco