Question About a Tarp Size

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Question About a Tarp Size - 07/21/12 05:17 PM

I cannot interpret this tarp size: http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/expedition_rainfly_70d_polyester/

Basically, I need a tarp that 10.5 feet long. I don't think the above tarp is long enough, but I cannot interpret the sizing. haha.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/21/12 05:49 PM

The Hennessy rainflys are a little different, because they're intended to pitch corner to corner as an off-kilter diamond, rather than squared as a rectangle. The corners aren't 90-degree squared. This design accommodates HH's asymmetrical hammocks.

To envision how this fly looks flat, imagine two 63, 99, 132 triangles connected on the long edge (hypotenuse). You could pitch it as a diamond-shape shelter, but I don't know whether it would give the coverage you want.

Cheers,

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/21/12 06:22 PM

Well, I managed to grab a Grank Trunk Pro Skeeter Beater hammock. I'm going to need a tarp one day. I thought the Hennessy's rainfly would be cheaper and weight less than the one Grand Trunk makes. It turned out that this thought is indeed correct. I'm just concern about the dimension of the Hennessy to cover my hammock. Grand Trunk's tarp weights 20oz, that should put my total shelter around 2.5 pounds give or take. My tent weights about 3.2 pounds with the footprint. If I ditch the tent and put the hammock in my pack I got extra volume in the pack for extra food or whatever.

I'm still going to need the tent for trips that include camping on a bald mountain top! grin I can also use the hammock for day-hiking, relaxing near a creek while fly fishing, etc.
Posted by: DTape

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/22/12 06:54 AM

As you search for a tarp, be aware Grand Trunks Skeeter Beeter is a "longer" hammock and the material is a little "stretchy". These two attributes will require a slightly longer tarp ridgeline for adequate coverage. IIRC, the stock Hennesy diamond fly will not provide the coverage needed.

You might find yourself modifying either the hammock suspension, or netting suspension or both. It is a comfortable hammock. Enjoy!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/23/12 02:25 PM

I want to see a picture of you sitting in a hammock and fly fishing at the same time. smile
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/27/12 08:04 PM

flyfishing while sitting in a hammock sounds like something really cool to do. You'd need a narrow enough body of water to hang the hammock across, then you would boat out to it, crawl in, and fish/camp... Hope no other boats come along.
Jim

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/28/12 02:00 PM

Lol. I guess I should clarified, it something I would take fly fishing with but wouldn't actually sit in it fishing. You know, when the bite is slow and want to just relax and enjoy the sound of rolling water. smile

Edit: Also, I found a tarp made by a company called Wilderness Logics that cost $85 and weights 11.5oz with the stuff sack.
Posted by: PDA

Re: Question About a Tarp Size - 07/30/12 06:30 PM

The ridge length of that Hennessy tarp is 132". That is sufficient to cover an 11 to 12' hammock easily (the ridge length of a properly hung hammock is 80-85% of the hammocks overall length), which would be about 9 feet. As pointed out,that Hennessy tarp hangs as an asymmetric diamond, which gives adequate coverage for sleeping, but not a lot of room to hang out when it is e.g. raining. I have an asym. diamond for hiking, and a Hex for base camping

If you're not sure what will work best for you, make a cheap prototype from 3 mil plastic drop cloth and duct tape. Here are measurments for an asym diamond

http://www.dream-hammock.com/DiamondTarpTutorial.html

and here's a method for plastic sheet, no sew, construction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCUc_aUn...mp;feature=plcp

Here's one way to put a fixed ridgeline on a SB Pro

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5045

this gives a ridge length of 105", which is almost 9 feet, so an 11' tarp ridgeline should be enough.