"Approach" Hiking Shoes Hard to Find

Posted by: wildthing

"Approach" Hiking Shoes Hard to Find - 07/04/12 12:54 PM

Some years ago, I procured 2 pairs of Merrell Chameleon low rise shoes that were plenty stiff enough for side hilling and had good support, a nice wide toebox and great soles with octogrip. They lasted well, but all the shoes changed lasts in the 5 years since and I have been unable to find many low hiking shoes that have the following:

1. firm mid-sole support
2. lateral rigidity (can't easily twist the shoe heel to toe)
2. good materials that last 2 years
3. wider toes and narrower heels

I have destroyed some mid-priced Merrells, did well-enough with a pair of Vasque Breeze Low and a pair of Keen Targhee, and now have been unable to find a pair of hiking shoes to replace these as my longer-distance backpacking favorites. I usually travel between 10-25 miles depending on the terrain and use hiking poles and a 20-25lb pack.

Seems most shoes are medium width, made for trail-running and day hikes, and just don't have the "stuff" to stand up to a month on the trail or more than an active year of wear. Anyone else having the same problems?
Posted by: BZH

Re: "Approach" Hiking Shoes Hard to Find - 07/05/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By wildthing
Some years ago, I procured 2 pairs of Merrell Chameleon low rise shoes that were plenty stiff enough for side hilling and had good support, a nice wide toebox and great soles with octogrip. They lasted well, but all the shoes changed lasts in the 5 years since and I have been unable to find many low hiking shoes that have the following:

1. firm mid-sole support
2. lateral rigidity (can't easily twist the shoe heel to toe)
2. good materials that last 2 years
3. wider toes and narrower heels

I have destroyed some mid-priced Merrells, did well-enough with a pair of Vasque Breeze Low and a pair of Keen Targhee, and now have been unable to find a pair of hiking shoes to replace these as my longer-distance backpacking favorites. I usually travel between 10-25 miles depending on the terrain and use hiking poles and a 20-25lb pack.

Seems most shoes are medium width, made for trail-running and day hikes, and just don't have the "stuff" to stand up to a month on the trail or more than an active year of wear. Anyone else having the same problems?

Darn, it sounds like I had the same pair of chameleons. I was assuming Merril's current version was the same. I am now assuming you have tried these and they don't stand up: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-chameleon-4-cyclone-granite-black ?
Posted by: wildthing

Re: "Approach" Hiking Shoes Hard to Find - 07/05/12 01:54 PM

Seems like they changed the last on the new Chameleons and they are average width and not as skookum. Your mileage may vary but I've tried the newer ones and they aren't wide enough so the next size up doesn't fit and are not of the same quality as the older version. Those may have been from as long as 6-7 years ago, you know how time goes.
Posted by: Dcsouthgw

Re: "Approach" Hiking Shoes Hard to Find - 09/05/12 04:47 AM

This isn't a pitch for this company, but used as an example...mountain gear is a company that does the full gambit of outdoors stuff, but especially climbing. If you want an approach shoe, I like asolo, and vasque, but even climbing shoe manuf.s now make good approach shoes like 5.10. Rei would work, altrec, etc, but I get the mountain gear cat's and I always see the approach shoes you are talking about. I also think I have seen the chameleons too. I would look for the extra rubber on the top part of the toes.