Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts

Posted by: lostagain

Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 01:22 PM

So I was sitting hre tinking about how to lighten the load of my summer sleep system: army poncho liner, silk SB liner, tyvek sheet, bug bivy, and either Big Agnes Clearview or Klymit X-frame, and army sleeping pad.

I started hunting on Ebay for something and saw this aluminized sleeping pad. Looks just like one of those windshield relector thingies and the light-bulb went off. I was thining about getting one at WallyWorld and seeing if it works as an effective ground pad.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? (I'd be getting one meant for trucks, since that should cover about 3/4 the length of my 6'1")
Posted by: Indy

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 01:30 PM

I can see some value in it. It weighs nothing, shouldn't allow body heat to seep into the ground, and folds up to about 3" thick.

Mine is about 3/8" thick, though, so it might be a bit uncomfortable.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 02:23 PM

Can't see the picture, in case you've posted one (might be blocked on my end) but I assume you're describing a bubble-wrap-type windshield cover with a metalized skin.

It might be comfortable as padding if thick enough--depends a lot on how hard and uneven the ground is. If it's simple bubble wrap the insulation will be poor, so don't count on it to keep you warm on frozen ground or in very cold weather. How cold? Depends a lot on your bag and metabolism.

The problem with bubble-type pads is the conductive heat transfer is very high, generally much higher than the radiated heat saved by the reflector. In warmer weather it might not be a problem, but for cold conditions I'd want to pair it with a thin foam pad, at least.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 02:34 PM

One question is whether you'd even be comfortable sleeping on something that thin. This is a question only you can answer!

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 03:08 PM

Thanks guys. I don't intend to use it as a sleeping pad, but rather as a replacement for the GI foam pad which goes under my BA or Klymit pad. Not wanting it for comfort, but rather as a heat reflector when using either one of the blowup pads.

It's one of these.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 03:22 PM

I have a lot of experience using bubble foil insulation while backpacking. In cold weather I always bring a piece for sitting on, and one for insulation under my sleeping bag, but I don't use it for a sleeping pad, there's just not enough padding for that on our hard ground.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/22/12 03:54 PM

Oops, guess I misread your OP. It could offer a decent substitute. I'd place the foil on top, off the ground and you might even experiment with having the airmat underneath. note that it won't give the R-value of your foam pad.

Cheers,
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/23/12 08:19 AM

I have a thermarest ridge rest foam type sleeping pad and I can't remember the exact weight but it's very light, and I don't even have the small size or have it cut down any. It's very comfortable but my only gripe is the bulk of it, I often snag the pad on branches in tight sections of trail.

I think a good nights sleep is more important than saving a few ounces though.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/23/12 03:05 PM

I think a good nights sleep is more important than saving a few ounces though

I endorse this opinion entirely.

When it comes to sleeping arrangements everyone has a different comfort level. But, if your sleeping bag or pad don't allow a good night's sleep, you've done something wrong and need to fix it. Poor sleep can lead to worse things, like poor judgement and poor decision making.

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/23/12 07:54 PM

Thanks guys. It was, as I said, just a middle of the night idea. I wasn't really worried about the comfort factor since I was still going to use my air pads. The Klymit works really well inside my sleeping bag, and the BA is comfy, but in the summer here in Texas, we only have two temperatures, hot and hotter. IN July through about Mid-September, the average might temps are in the upper 70s to the mid 80s, so R factor isn't an issue. In fact getting cool in the night is a welcome thing sometimes. crazy

I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Certainly not something I'd consider for fall/winter/early spring outings.
Posted by: phat

Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts - 06/25/12 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By lostagain
IN July through about Mid-September, the average might temps are in the upper 70s to the mid 80s, so R factor isn't an issue. In fact getting cool in the night is a welcome thing sometimes. crazy

By september here I'm normally used to -5C at night, easy. and it often freezes in July and August. It's almost always pleasantly cool in my mountains at night..

70s to 80s at night while sleeping? Shudder.. I suppose you can get used to anything but I think I'd be lying naked on the ground on a sheet of tyvek - or in my hammock.

(It wouldn't be pretty)