Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn.

Posted by: Tye

Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 01:57 AM

I have been to the local Gander Mtn. twice in two months and have had some interesting luck. Tonight, I strolled in just to get an idea of what brands of sleeping pads they carry. I'm looking around at the Thermarest pads rolled on the rack. Then I see one on the display rack that doesn't quite match. A thermarest Trail with a tag on it for $19.97. Upon asking, it was the last one of either a discontinued or one Gander Mtn doesn't carry anymore. No leaks, perfect shape, just no bag. I think it originally sold for $49, but hey, $19 bucks is $19 bucks.

Last month, I ended up with a pair of Teva shoes for $24.

I need to make it a habit to "drop" by.

Oh well, just had to share my little good news; the wife doesn't care and the dog just looks at me.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 06:44 AM

Good job - we understand, and we're all proud of you! (I get pretty much the same reaction as you at home, except I don't have a dog.) smile
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 09:22 AM

This means your dog is supper excited for you. Awesome deals.
Posted by: Tye

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 10:01 AM

Ah man, what a sad looking face; but no you can't have my sleeping pad. . . serious. . . you can't.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 12:18 PM

You can always let the dog sleep on the Thermarest! (Make sure his claws are trimmed short first!)

Thermarest has never sold stuff sacks with their pads; the sack has to be bought separately if you want one. So the low price was because they wanted to get it off the shelves, not because it was missing a stuff sack.
Posted by: lori

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 02:51 PM

Yep, no included stuff sack. Which never bothers me because it's easy to get a cheaper and lighter sack for the pad.

Low prices are always a good thing, especially when for quality gear.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 03:20 PM

My Thermorest came in a stuff sack-same color as the pad. But, once you got it out of the sack, it is almost impossible to get back in because it is so small. I've had it a while, so they must have quit including stuff sacks in the last few years.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 04:11 PM

yup, mine came with bags too. Bought them in the late 90's. There was a coating on the inside of the bag that turned to goo and the bag stuck to itself.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 08:45 PM

TomD
Theres this vacume packer thingy for food. First you roll the thermarest up as tightly as you can, then make a bag the correct size and just suck it out and seal it. It should then fit into the original bag again.

Yesterday I was at a thrift store and found a like new pair of really nice synthetic insulated frostline snow pants with full side zips and cuffs etc. Oh yes for $5. I was gonna sell em but my wife saw them and that was that, only now she has to wear them to get to keep them.

I bought 12 strands of Christmas lights, 2 LED, and one 100 feet long for $16. I'm putting some around my deck out back for some gentle light at night. I'd like to make a string that would go all the way (250 feet) back to my deck in the lava flow, but I question just how bright the ones at the end would be.

Jim smile
Posted by: TomD

Re: Gettin' lucky at Gander Mtn. - 12/15/11 09:28 PM

Nah, too much trouble. I just wrap a strap around it and stuff it in my duffle bag (the one that goes on the sled). smile