Best Ultra Light Tarp

Posted by: HFCS

Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/22/11 09:48 AM

What brand should I be looking at?

I'm going to use it with my fair weather tent for when it gets stormy here in Florida. I figure it'll be better than having a fair weather tent and a stormy weather tent...

Should I just pick up a walmart tarp or will I shave a lot of weight with something else on the market?
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/22/11 09:51 AM

You can get a really light tarp by spending a lot of money. Or you can get a pretty light tarp by spending just a bunch of money. Or you can get a decently light tarp by spending a decent amount of money. Or you can get a heavy tarp by spending almost no money. Of course, you can also get a heavy tarp by spending a lot of money. smile So, what is your budget, and how light do you want it? Also, do you know the size you want?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/22/11 10:55 AM

Maybe as a compromise, a silnylon tarp from Campmor? They are made by Equinox. The link is to a 6' x 8' tarp for $60 that weighs 9.2 oz,; there are other sizes. As with any silnylon product, you'll need to seal the center seam. They are good tarps for a decent price and not too heavy. I have one that I use for group trips with the grandkids, to cover a cooking/eating area when it rains.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/22/11 03:16 PM

What do you mean by "best" --- in particular is money a factor here? Cuben fabric is a good choice if not, but for limited use probably overkill (too expensive).

For the specific use you're talking about, I'm wondering if you don't want an oversized tarp, to fit it over your fair weather tent. Just exactly what you have in mind is a factor; put it up as a sort of side wall, or dome it entirely over your other tent? Have trekking poles to hold it up?

You can certainly shave weight with something else on the market. Some standard places to look include mountain laurel designs, integral designs, gossamer gear ...

A good place to look for info on this topic is Mark Verber's site, and in particular http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/shelter.html

Personally, I'd be more inclined to get a separate stormy-weather tent and take the appropriate tent along for the particular trip, unless you have some reason to ever use the tarp all by itself.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/22/11 03:56 PM

If you really want to go the tarp over the tent way, have a look at this one :
http://www.basegear.com/eno-fast-flay-rain-tarp.html
heavier than silnylon (not much...) but great coverage at the 22oz weight.
The weight is accurate, a mate has one.
Franco
Posted by: HFCS

Re: Best Ultra Light Tarp - 11/29/11 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies. As far as my use for this, it will be a rain fly for a cheap walmart tent...what is this stuff made of? Will it lose its water repellant properties like a tent will, or is it pretty much plastic?