Carbon tent poles in cold weather

Posted by: Glenn

Carbon tent poles in cold weather - 11/20/11 11:51 AM

I'm about to take my Carbon Reflex tent into some "serious" (for me) cold weather for 4 nights; normal lows for this time of year, where I'm going (Grayson Highlands, VA) seem to be in the mid to low 20's, but I wouldn't rule out the mid teens. (All the date seems to be nearby towns; I'm deducting 10 degrees for being up in the hills.)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with carbon fiber tent poles at those temperatures. I'm thinking those of you with TarpTent Rainbows (yes, Franco, you can now give me a hard time about my tent choice smile ) might have some very relevant experience, since the stress the bent poles have might be similar.

Aside from factors like "too much mesh," or "too cramped," anybody know of any reason not to take the Carbon Reflex tent?
Posted by: Franco

Re: Carbon tent poles in cold weather - 11/20/11 03:49 PM

Hi Glenn
How can I give you a hard time about a tent that looks so much alike the Rainbow ?
Not to endorse someone else's product, but I have not seen a single report of those FX poles breaking unlike the many failures of other types of CF poles.
Two possible reasons : 1) the poles are better constructed (IE purpose built not just arrow sections ...) than some others.
2) there is less stress on that pole than on other shelter with a tighter radius.
(I just had a look at the pole on my Rainbow (2005 version) and that still does not have the classic one or two bent pole sections you get with shelters that put a lot of stress on a pole. )
BTW I am not aware of anyone selling the Easton FX poles as replacement poles so I have not seen anyone using them with a Rainbow .
There is a bit of a flat spot at the top so I would make sure to punch snow off that part , if it happens...
Franco
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Carbon tent poles in cold weather - 11/20/11 04:08 PM

Tent poles, no, trekking poles, yes. No issues whatever in the cold and IIRC, skiers have used them for many years now. I would not worry about it.

Cheers,
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Carbon tent poles in cold weather - 11/20/11 05:37 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the information. I hadn't heard of any problems, either, but I don't follow the tech stuff that close.

I am using the MSR Overland Carbon poles; I've never had any problem with them on wintry day hikes, but even if they break, it won't be a show-stopper - I can probably hike without them easily enough when my load is less than 25 pounds. (Sometimes I even wonder why I bother with them, but then I convince myself that they help my knees, or make me more stable in the few places where footing is an issue, and I take them anyhow. smile )
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Carbon tent poles in cold weather - 11/21/11 12:31 PM

20-deg F is not really "cold" with respect to material strengths. Now if you said -40degF, that may be a different story!

However, there are a few practical problems at 20 deg. Wet conditions just below freezing can really build up ice. If the sections get wet at the joining points, then freeze, it can be difficult to take down the poles for packing. It is wise to try to keep poles dry- wipe off when you take down the tent and then pack poles inside your pack. If the pole freezes into the gromet that holds it at the base, you could also have problems and accidently tear out the end piece on the pole that goes into the gromet. I have problems with this even above freezing with my Tarptent Moment poles.

That brings up another topic- how does everyone deal with thawing out frozen tent parts? I have resorted to heating up the tent pole with my stove (held at a proper distance), but that is quite risky.