Down bag storage

Posted by: Tye

Down bag storage - 11/16/11 10:40 PM

I know, I've read a lot about hanging or laying the bag under the bed. I don't have room for that. Here is my question. Would it be "relaxed" enough to put keep it in my backpack uncompressed? Or, would this still be too "squished" and ruin the loft?

Thanks.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Down bag storage - 11/16/11 10:53 PM

The recommended storage options:

Hang in the closet (unsquashed by clothing on either side).

Store in the large cloth bag that comes with it, on a shelf or wherever there is room. Again, not squashed in any way.

Under the bed is the other favorite place, not recommended for cat owners.

Unless you have a really enormous single-compartment pack, there won't be enough room to let the bag fluff fully. The cloth storage bag that came with my sleeping bag is about twice as large as my pack.

Posted by: lori

Re: Down bag storage - 11/17/11 10:04 AM

My quilts are hung in the closet like jackets, or loosely folded and stacked high on a shelf somewhere the cat can't get.

Posted by: Allison

Re: Down bag storage - 11/17/11 05:53 PM

I agree with OregonMouse- mine is in my storage hanging up.

Allison

4000-footers.blogspot.com
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Down bag storage - 11/18/11 12:52 PM

my gf got some mesh netting that hangs from the ceiling in our gear/spare bedroom. The netting is wide enough that the quilts can lay side by side. Then we just lay our other quilts top of each other.
Posted by: Chad from WV

Re: Down bag storage - 11/21/11 10:38 PM

Hopefully not a stupid question...but does this apply to non-down bags too? How should I be storing my non-down bag?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Down bag storage - 11/22/11 11:01 AM

Same way. Synthetic bags don't hold up nearly as well as down to repeated or prolonged compression, so store them uncompressed. I think we worry more about down, because a high quality down bag is so expensive.

For either type, fluffing up in the dryer (low heat) to remove any dampness is a good idea before putting them away.