BA fly creek vs Copper Spur

Posted by: Frankendude

BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/09/11 05:09 PM

REI has the Copper Spur on sale for $299, normally $399. Its about 3lb 13oz. The Fly Creek is $349 and 2lb 2oz. I'm assuming the Copper Spur will most likely be more durable, the Fly creek lighter. Looking for your input.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/09/11 05:52 PM

Pretty much what you said, plus single versus double doors and vestibules and more living space.

If it were me, I'd go with the Fly Creek. That's a big weight difference, plus it would be easier to find sites for the smaller tent.

Cheers,

Posted by: skcreidc

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/10/11 10:43 AM

If you can, check em out in person. I think there is a distinct difference in the heaviness of the material. You do have to be careful with the fly creek; I already put a small hole in the bottom of my 3 man and I am not sure how I did it. I am using a ground tarp under it. Easy to fix though and I love it as a spacious 2-man at 3lbs 3oz. Other than the small hole I patched, it has held up well in some pretty intense storms keeping me nice and dry. The 3-man is a little snug at best as a 3-man. I don't know how that translates to the smaller models, but you may want to check it out in person to see if they have enough room for your purposes.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/11/11 03:43 AM

One of these, I believe, has the screen door opening in such a way that the netting ends up on the ground being trod on as you go in and out, not a good idea! I may have the wrong tent here, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

I personally don't like double-wall tents, since there is just as much condensation on the fly as in a single-wall tent with no way to wipe it off. Your mileage may vary! However, do make sure that the screen door on the model you choose is upright, rather than with the bottom slanting outwards, so you can leave the vestibule door open for more ventilation in a drizzle. Otherwise you'll have a really soggy fly almost every morning, and very possibly condensation dripping into the inner tent.
Posted by: Pika

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/11/11 08:09 AM

On my one person Fly Creek the door zips down one side and across the bottom and can be tied off to one side of the entrance. I have used my Fly Creek for three seasons now and have had good, trouble-free service from it. It weighs 33 oz complete with stakes and lines and has kept me dry in some really fierce thunderstorms. I have never had significant problems with condensation. The main drawbacks with the tent are: exiting in a rainstorm will allow some rain into the tent; it is a front entrance so getting in and out is somewhat less dignified than with a side entrance; and it is small so stowing gear inside, especially wet gear, is a rather intimate experience.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/11/11 11:58 AM

FWIW BA doesn't list fabric denier specs but the Fly Creek and Copper Spur have the same waterproofness specs (1200mm) and are both in the Ultralite series, so it's safe to presume the fabrics are identical. The doors tie off to the side.

Cheers,
Posted by: lori

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/11/11 12:27 PM

I have a huge preference for side entry, but the weight difference would offset it somewhat. If I were choosing between the two you name, that is. With end entry tents I had a habit of face-planting because getting up first thing in the morning before coffee, with side entry I can swing the legs out and roll up onto my feet.

Also, both of those are more expensive and heavier than the tarptent I eventually got. I do have a less expensive double wall side entry, the Sierra Designs Lightning XT, about 3 lbs, but that's mostly been a car camping tent. I originally got it on sale for less than 150 because I figured if I wanted to do the Lost Coast I might want to set up on a beach... it will probably be less hassle than a nonfreestanding tent for that purpose.

I know a lot of BA tent users who are quite happy with their tents, tho. Guess it depends a lot on your personal expectations. All things considered, I think the primary difference between the Copper Spur and the Fly Creek would be the weight. They will likely be the same good quality as most BA products.
Posted by: Frankendude

Re: BA fly creek vs Copper Spur - 11/18/11 12:42 PM

Ended up getting the copper spur, based on space and durability. The double doors were also pretty compelling. My wife and I always play together, so she is going to help carry around her share of the almost 4 lbs. Thanks to all for your input. It's appreciated !!